1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Prius throw-away cars?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Silver2010, May 21, 2010.

1. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was talking to the service manage at my Toyota dealer about our batteries. He said a replacement is $8600.00! Once our 8 year warranty has expired then it seems to me the car won't be worth the cost of a new battery. Like the title says, it's a throw-away car if the battery goes out after warranty. Hopefully the cost of these batteries will lower as time go along.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your service manager is on drugs.
    Use the search function for an answer, sorry, late for work.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No...not a good service manager.

There's regional differences, differences in cost between buying brand new OEM and Salvaged...installation and other factors but in general I've seen figures ranging from $2000 or slightly less...(salvaged..non-dealership installation) or $3000, $3,500 for the full monty, OEM dealership replacement.

I've never heard anyone quote a figure as high as $8,600.00. .

Prius are machines, like any machine. Their utilization and usefulness depends on a lot of factors. As they are used, eventually they will suffer breakdowns and need attention. Would I define them as "Throw Away" or disposable cars? No..not anymore throw away or disposable than any machine.

You can keep a machine running all the way into the Smithsonian Museum if you are willing. You can drive something into the ground in a relatively short time...it kind of depends on what your priorities are, but I do not think The Prius is designed to be "disposable".

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The engine for my Lexus is $12,000 wholesale. Does that mean its a throwaway car? By the time it would need an engine...if it ever needed an engine I wouldn't be buying a brand new one...that would be foolish and the same is true of the battery pack on the Prius.

Sometime down the road when it has 300,000 miles on it and lets say it need a new battery pack, yeah someone might dispose of it...but they would dispose of a vehicle that needed an engine rebuild or a transmission at that point too.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. snowbird

snowbird Junior Member

And here you are with your wonderful new car: how very sad that you have this Service Manager to make you think its a throwaway. So glad we have this board to come to so you don't have to take that person's word for anything, eh?
    I would sit down with the owner or manager of the dealership and tell him about this. I was unhappy with the Service Dept at my dealership: I went to the manager (son of the owner) and politely explained why I was taking my maintenance business elswhere. Since then if I have problems - or anything beyond an oil change - I run it by him before I bring it in - make sure I get the best tech for the problem and they are on notice - he makes the appointment for me.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You mean like toasters? All cars are throw-away cars unless they're collector items and increase in value over time.

8. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suggest you never go back to that dealer. I am sure they are full of additional bad advice.

1 person likes this.
  9. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, $8600 is high but just passing along the info he gave me. He did say they have only sold three. Imagine how those three poor fools felt after paying that much and later checking the Internet.

11. dogllama

dogllama New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would hope that in 8 years I could find a better battery to run my prius on than what we have now. I would also expect car batteries to be in higher production and significantly cheaper.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :pound:

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh at the misfortune of others.

Not only is the Prius battery NOT $8K, but should you ever need to replace it, it will probably be under warranty still, close enough to be under warranty that Toyota will cut a deal for you, or will be available for even less than it is now (look at how it's getting easier and easier to find them already)... AND Toyota will BUY BACK THE DEAD ONE... and, if they won't, there are power companies, DIY solar power producers, etc., that will buy them from you.

13. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Proof of the Matter, and of the Lie you were told by this person is in the Taxi Industry. Taxi cab owners don't use throw away cars for their fleets. Taxi owners use cars that contol costs and are so durable they outlast the years and years of all day use by multiple drivers of varying ability. The Canadian city of Vancouver has a large taxi fleet of Priuses, and they date back to the earliest models. The City of New York is beginning to see these cars in use as cabs in what is easily one of the most punishing places on the planet for cabs. If these cars required such huge costs to keep running, the taxi owners would not have touched the Prius with a 10 ft pole. Your Service Manager has no clue about the Prius, odd that he works for a Toyota Dealer. Must be an oddball.:D

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    $1,700 for battery; two people; four hours, 2001 Prius with 250,000 miles:
    [​IMG]
    I was one of the two people. This rebuilt battery has better modules than the original.

Bob Wilson

15. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No car increases in value unless it has been signed by Picasso. Sure, those exotic cars that turn around in expensive sales can bring a profit over the last time they sold--sort of like expensive art. But cars are generally bad investments. They start depreciating as they leave the showroom. The more expensive, the worse the depreciation.

Put your money in real estate. Don't worry. It will come back, unless the population decreases.

16. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks like the install is fairly labor intensive so that $8600 isn't quite as bad although an awful lot for a battery assuming the SM was correct.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :huh:

So, since you can get a new battery for $3K-ish, you think that over $5000 is reasonable labor charge? it isn't THAT labor intensive!

18. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Go back and read what I said. I said "an awful lot for a battery". That means an awful lot for labor too!

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    By the way, Re-Involt will install their battery for you for $282

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How about the Prius used as taxi service in Winnipeg? This climate can dip to -40 in winter. Any horror stories of batteries failing?