1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are "rebuid kits" required when buying new tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by oae83, Jun 25, 2010.

1. oae83

oae83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had new tires put on my 2009 Prius, the tire dealership asked if I wanted to have the tire sensors rebuilt for $7.00 a tire. I didn't know so said yes, thinking if I didn't need it I won't do it again the next time I replace the tires. Is this needed? or just a profit maker for the tire store?

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know there is any rebuilt kit for TPMS. My guess they are just put in a new gasket. Charging $7 for a gasket is outrageous, it should be free.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read a lot on this...and my tire guy is a personal friend.

Both he and my internet readings indicate that old saying of my father's...which my mother attributed to pure laziness....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

So, you did not need to replace them

Of course, I'm still mad at tire guy Zeke for selling me my new Cooper "Girlfriend Experience" tires for my Prius a couple of weeks ago....chuckling the whole time, apparently.

It's really the Cooper GFE, but apparently, men, including my husband, and how he knows I not sure I want to know....know that GFE is a popular term used by "ladies of the evening," to indicate a REALLY good time will be had:mad:

4. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only thing that should need "rebuilding" is to change the battery. These are soldered on the board, so if that is what is done for $7 it is a good deal. Otherwise, it is snake oil.

5. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, "rebuilding" comprizes of changing the butyl washer/seal. They usually charge you $2 - $3 for a new valve stem, so that should translate to about $0.07 for the little butyl washer!

Isn't this a great country!

6. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As others have said: if they're working, don't mess with them. This is just another ripoff by the tire salesman. My response now would be to kindly inform him that he has lost you as a future customer, because of his dishonest actions.:mad::(