1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are seats interchangeable between models?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Janice N, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Janice N

Janice N Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm looking at a prius prime purchase in my near future. I drove a 2016 Prius c over the weekend and a friend lent me his 2017 prius prime plus yesterday. My neck is still sore. Today I got to sit in a 2016 Prius v (unknown trim) and the head rest was actually in a comfortable location, or no worse than my 1993 Honda. Made me wonder: could I replace the driver's seat or even just the head restraint from another model/trim of prius?

I have yet to try a 2017 prius with the 8-way adjustable seat. Maybe more lumbar support and my recently acquired neck pillow will make it ok?

Anyone have any experience with this? The 6-way seat was uncomfortable but the 8-way was ok? Or swapping seats or head restraints between different prius models?

TIA. I really appreciate your help with this.

LnG likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! unlikely, without some customization. you can reverse the headrest, which can be cause for discomfort depending on your height.

RCO likes this.
  3. Janice N

Janice N Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I pulled out the prime's head restraint and if reversed, the rest tilts back. I'm hoping for something more vertical. I've seen threads with folks talking about replacing the head rest with something after market (those with dvd players in the back). I haven't gone digging in that hole yet.

RCO and bisco like this.
  4. Janice N

Janice N Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    A discussion from 2014 on the prius v board mentions head restraints being interchangeable among the prius models. Also, replacements from Toyota cost about $500 (!!) but the poster was able to find them on ebay. Some small hope.

Uncomfortable Prius v Driver's Headrest | PriusChat

RCO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent!(y)

6. Janice N

Janice N Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I visited a local Toyota dealership this evening. I got to sit in a 2017 four touring with a terrible head rest. I tried the 8-way adjustments but the lumbar support wasn't enough.

Luckily there was a used 2015 Prius a few feet away and its headrest fit the four's seat and made the seat comfortable.

The solution, like it was for the prior poster, was to replace the head rest with a previous model's for about $60 on eBay.

A shout out to Gerardo Martinez at Toyota 101 in Redwood City, CA. He was very helpful and willing to experiment with me and even look up headrests on eBay.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.