1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are shocks supposed to leak oil a little?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A repair shop noticed that the rear shocks on our Prius are leaking a little oil. They said shocks are not supposed to leak any oil and that it's a sign that the shocks are failing.

The Toyota dealership then took a look at them, and said that it is normal for shocks to leak a little oil. The shop foreman said that the natural up/down movement of a shock causes some of the shock's oil to get distributed along the exposed part of the shock.

Who is correct? The first shop or the dealership?

#1 Preeeus, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is an engine suppose to leak a little oil? :p

Yes, seals leaking is a sign of wearing out but........ greasy residue can come from other sources. A 2010 is certainly old enough to be wearing out.

I once stepped out of my gen3 with 25k miles immediately into a gen 2 with 115k miles and the difference in ride quality was astounding.

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Shocks dont have grease in them with the exception of the seal, but you shouldnt see any. Gas or oil but no grease. If you see grease it may have come from the axle or road. You should be replacing your shocks about now anyway.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Preeeus likes this.
  5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you should post a picture of the leak if you want us to judge, but if your shocks are leaking oil out of the shock absorber, you should get it replaced. There shouldn't be any leaks coming out from it, if its dirt stain then its fine, but no oil.

Preeeus and Bluegrassman like this.
  6. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What you are seeing is the oil in the shock -- unless someone put something on them? If they are leaking a little you can get a dirt buildup that will look thicker. If the dealer said they are fine -- I'm sure they are :)

The shaft should be clean and slip in your fingers -- you should not have ant standing oil on the top of the tower

7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Some leak only enough to attract road dust.
    So that would be OK.

They should not have a liquid trail or drips of oil though.
    Yes post a picture, yet as others have posted you are probably OK.

And if grease...it is another issue. Yes, shocks only have oil.

8. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks... will post some photos in a moment...

Regarding the Toyota dealers, the first Toyota dealership failed to even successfully refill the windshield wiper fluid... twice. They also misdiagnosed several important maintenance items and couldn't even find relevant TSB's. So sad.

9. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks... here are two photos. The Prius is on a lift in both photos.

Our ignorance originally caused us to use the word "grease" instead of "oil". Updated the thread title and initial post to be accurate.

The first photo is the left-rear shock, with the visible oil. The second photo is the right-rear shock, after we wiped some of the visible oil off of it.

oil visible 1.jpg

wiped oil off 1.jpg

#9 Preeeus, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  10. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    to me it looks normal for wear and tear. There's no streak of oil coming out of it so you're ok. Over time, shocks will get replaced. If that was me, I would replace it when I feel the vehicle is very bouncy or when the suspension isn't absorbing the road impact anymore.

Preeeus likes this.
  11. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'd agree with post # 10...looks normal.

Preeeus likes this.
  12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yikes! Never ever bring your car to that repair shop again. You just proved they prey on uninformed people.

Preeeus likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Agree with all of the above; the only thing untowards appears to be a few finger streaks in the dust.

@Preeeus Do you have mild winters, no salt, dry climate? Ours looks a lot rustier, especially that lower shock bolt.

Preeeus likes this.
  14. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for your evaluation! And many thanks for the others after you as well!

15. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, mild winters. No salt. Some rain, but no snow. The worst thing is the neighborhood sprinklers that constantly hit it.

When you mention the "finger streaks", are you referring to where we wiped off some of the oil with our fingers in the second photo, or something else?

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the finger streaks. The only thing untowards in the pics. Thanks.

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $ is on your rear shocks are gone. You drive this car daily and the struts/shocks have been wearing out. You won't notice the wear b/c younare in it daily and get used to the wear. Only if you had another 2010 that was never driven, would you notice the difference.

Shock/strut manufactures stress replace evey 5yr/50K miles, to maintain optimum suspension and braking characteristics.

Read Post 3. You will see how worn your rears are by removal. Never saw anynhopscotch marks on the tire. Never felt bouncy; probably b/c I was used to it.
    Replaced Rear Shocks | PriusChat

Preeeus likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Preeeus How many miles on it?

@ex-student Don't you think Shock/strut manufacturers are going to push for earlier replacement than maybe needed? I agree they're going to wear. Personally I'm really easy going, just live with the squeaks and groans.

19. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to believe that the shock/strut manufactures want more requent replacement, unnecessarily. Until I replaced mine after 7years/124K miles. No hop scotch marks on the tire (tell-tale sign of no shock/strut, slowing the return of the tire). No harsh ride. No bottoming out.

New rears took 7sec to go from compression to full extension.
    Old rears took 3:15 (min:sec). This was the ahhh-ha moment for me, b/c I never felt/saw any evidence of wear. Seeing is believing.

Remember, the shock/strut manufactures recommend 5yr/50K mile to maintain OPTIMUM suspension & braking characteristics. Going longer will mean degraded handling and braking characteristics.

Labor is the biggest expense. If one is able to DIY, its cheap maintenance. Even cheaper if you can get a replacement strut/shock under the manufacture "lifetime" warranty.

#19 exstudent, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For DIY, optimally you would want good air tools for this? "Spring compressor" pops into my head too. I've neither, just thinking this is another level of complexity and investment. You really should have the repair manual or Techinfo subscription too.

Would you know, f you just roll into a suspension place, what are you looking at, just a round number?