1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the 2 kinds of tonneau covers interchangeable on 2016 models?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim in NC, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does anyone know about this?

I have the Prius Eco 2 which I am trading next week back to the dealer for a Prius 4 which has the crappy roller shade.

I actually prefer the lighter one on the 2 because it lifts up when you open the hatch. The other kind is clunky and can be a pain to deal with when you're folding down the seats for large cargo.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but you'll need the anchor points for the lightweight tonneau cover to hook onto. The roller-type tonneau cover doesn't have the hooks because that space is where the roller bar is inserted. (near the rear seats)

3. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I only saw the lighter tonneau at an autoshow before the 2016 Prius was released.

I don't want you to base your purchase off of me or what other people say, but I REALLY didn't like the lighter tonneau cover. It was cheap, flimsy, and you can't place anything in the trunk without lifting the cover.

The heavier one is of great quality and lasts for a long time. The roller tonneau cover hides in a roll when you don't need it and you can take it out if you want.

#3 'LectroFuel, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will trade you the light one for your roll up one. I've never seen the roll up one but I'd like to give it a try. I will send you all hardware to mount it and same with you.

Jim in NC likes this.
  5. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only thing is -- we both have to have black interiors. My new interior is black. I assume the tonneau cover will be black also.

6. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have grey interior with mix black (and the white bath tub of course). But the cover is black so I think it'll work. I'm okay with the stock light cover..just want to try something different.

Connor Smith likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It lifts up when the hatch opens.

8. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, that's what I was talking about.

9. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the lightweight cover and was interested in getting the roller shade one. I took a close look at the roller shade one in another Prius on the dealer's lot. The panel molding in the car appears to be identical for the two cars: both have the same depression where the roller shade bar rests. In the middle of this depression is a square hole. The roller shade car has a flat piece fitted into this hole; cars with a lightweight cover have a piece with a "T" hook on the top and a square base which fits into that hole. I assume they clip in somehow.

The process came to a screeching halt when I found out that the roller shade assembly would cost $550. Since all I need it for is as a support for oars I carry in the car, I am working on a solution using PVC pipe covered with foam pipe insulation. Probably of zero use for anyone else here.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. I read that sentence differently. After what you said, I re-read it. Guess there were two ways to interpret that sentence :)

11. Tbloemer

Tbloemer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    JohnF, can you please help me with maybe a picture of this? i have a 2017 eco and no Tonneau cover. I want one, but not going to pay for the $550 one, so the flimsy one will do. However, i dont have any mounting brackets at all. is what you are describing in the holes in the side molding part #s 2 and 3 on this product picture:
    upload_2017-7-13_9-51-36.png

I want to buy the cover but want to make sure i buy any necessary pieces with it. see my picture of the cutouts i have.

I also have no "hooks" to attach the ropes to the truck so that it raises when i open it. That i think can be fixed by me manually attaching some type of hooks with glue or something, but i am more concerned about buying the right parts to fit into the holes of this side inside of the trunk IMG_4602.JPG