1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the JBL speakers riveted into place (2015 Prius four)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Boston Jim, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a new 2015 Prius four and was wondering if anyone knew if the JBL speakers are riveted into place like the standard stock speakers? I'm considering dynamating the doors in the future (when there isn't 2 feet of snow on the ground), and just curious if I could pull the speakers out easily to get behind them.

Thanks

2. lemcar

lemcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't already taken off the door panel to see them, they have the same rivets as the standard speakers. You could pop these out to get behind then and replace them with new rivets or go with a small bolt and washers.

You can actually get quite a ways in the door and behind these speakers even with them in. If you don't want to mess with taking them out and remounting them that is.

3. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks lemcar for the info, I haven't had a chance to pull the door panel yet due to the weather (too cold an to much snow).

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If it was my car, I'd drill out the rivets and replace them with rivet nut inserts.

That way, you can screw them down with M4 or M5 Phillips head machine screws. It would make servicing easy.

Rivet nuts are much stronger than sheet metal screws. They are used to mount side view mirrors and roof racks.

I added two M6 rivet nuts to the back mount for the license plate. It makes the license plate more secure and looks much better.