1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the packages too high?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 19, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was reviewing the packages of the camry verses the prius.... the top of the line camry package does not quite have everything the prius does.. but the price difference doesn't seem to warrant the differences?

Are the prius's really marked up with the packages?..... or are we really getting what we pay for?

Example:
    Prius package #8 or #F.... cost 6890.00
    Package #8 -- includes driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags [2], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [5] universal transceiver, Smart Key System, backup camera [3], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [4], High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology, voice-activated DVD navigation system [7], and leather-trimmed seats and steering wheel
    >
    Camry Solara package #B.... cost 2000
    Option Combination #B $2,000
    - 50 State Emissions(FE)
    - Touch-Screen DVD Navigation system[6] w/JBL AM/FM CD w/XM Satellite Radio Capability[3](NV)
    - Vehicle Stability Control[7] with Traction Control and Brake Assist[8](VS)
    >

Camry SE package #A ...cost 3285.00

Standard Features
    Specifications
    Option Combination #A $3,285
    - 16-in. Aluminum Wheels w/P215/60R16 All Season Tires(AW)
    - Heated Driver & Front Passenger Seats [8](HD)
    - SE Premium Package Includes: Perforated Leather Seats, JBL AM/FM/Cassette/6 Disc In-Dash CD Changer w/8 Speakers & Satellite Capability [6], Manual Rear Sunshade, Cargo Net(HM)
    - Vehicle Stability Control [7] & Side Airbags [4](GU)
    >
    Camry XLE package #C ...cost 3065.00
    Option Combination #C $3,065
    - Heated Driver & Front Passenger Seats [8](HD)
    - Vehicle Stability Control [7] & Side Airbags [4](GU)
    - XLE Navigation Package Includes: Navigation System [10], JBL AM/FM/CD Single Disc Player w/8 Speakers & Satellite Capability [6](HX)

Without going into further detail...I compared price from the prius packages:
    Nav = 1900.00
    Leather =1100.00
    these two alone are 3000.00??? How do they do it on the camry and add other things also for the same price?...

If package #8 or #F is 6890 and has NAV and leather.... are ther 3890.00 worth of extras the camry doesn't have that also has NAV and leather? The Camry has heated seats that the prius doesn't have. They both include the CD but the camry does not have 6 disk changer included unless you pay extra.

The point it that its tough to account for 4000.00 difference when adding up the extras?

I know the HID's are expensive..... but not that much?

Can somebody help me here?

2. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Toyota is trying to recoup slim profits on earlier hybrid sales. I had a dealer tell me that they raised prices in 2006 to provide better dealer margins with the hope of stopping the msrp + 3K practices. Toyota - bad plan (or a load of horsepoop).