1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the Prius prone to rust at the lower front edge of the front doors?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sylvaing, Jul 20, 2023.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I posted this in the plugin forum but since it shares the same body with the standard hybrid, I'm posted it here for greater visibility. Hopefully it's not against the rules.

Both front doors on my 2017 are showing rust at their lower front edges. On the driver door, it even started to show from the outside. Is this common for the Prius to rust there? I took out the rubber grommet nearest to the edge, blasted some air and then applied Fluid Film in and out, hoping to slow down its progression.

I wanted to clean it better from within the door through the speaker opening but that speaker is riveted in place! What? Why do that! Anyway, that's the best way I found. Any tips to slowdown its progression even further?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    All I can suggest is more/better cleaning there during the winters.

They rivet the speakers in because it's inexpensive and rattle-proof vs. most other fastener types. That's important for a speaker.

Doug McC likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was gonna say due to neglected scrapes, but that looks like spontaneous bubble up, not at a lower (vulnerable) edge.

4. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not the original owner (one owner before me). I personally always clean up the inner bottom side of the doors during my weekly wash, especially in winter. it's odd that BOTH doors did that though, hence my question about a known problem.

Once my touch up paint comes in, I'll reclean, use alcool to remove all trace of oil, brush off the remaining rust, paint over, let it fully dry then reapply a coat of Fluid Film.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just speculating, it kind of looks like puddle water/runoff is getting pulled into the gap at the leading edge of the door. That's outside the door seal gasket, so there is airflow in that door jamb area.

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Doing what you propose will mean that you are only removing and covering up the surface rust. Like and iceberg, the rust originates from inside the door at the seams. You have to remove the door panels and coat the rusted seams wit rust converted that chemically changes the iron oxide to an iron phosphate. After that, I would coat these areas with a light petroleum based rust proofing like LPS3.

Then, after the treatment fully congeals after 60-90 days, I do the treatment that you propose.

From my dad's years of experience with cars of the 1960's with every car I purchase, I fog the interior bottoms of the doors with a light rustproofing like LPS3. Eve when the metal is factory rust treated, any sharp edges from crimps or tool marks on the steel will promote corrosion from either condensed or water flowing down the outside of the windows. The water drains out the weep holes on the bottom. If they are not clear and blocked, water will seek it's lower level by rusting out the thin metal.

Rustproof has a bad reputation, because it is seldom done right. The joints of the seams and contact with panels and fasteners are is where rust begins. Filling these spaces with rustproofing oil keeps the water and salts that make electrolytic corrosion from happening later than sooner.

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  7. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the reply. My problem is I can't access where it rusts, unless I remove the speaker but it's riveted in place (it's my first car that does that). The only other access is through the grommet at the bottom of the door.

I'll look for a product that converts iron oxide to iron phosphate.

Thanks.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd get a body shop to remedy it, do a thorough remediation. Any cosmetic outside treatment will just bubble up again.

9. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I asked and around here, only one body shop will do rust repair. I haven't contacted them yet.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you really want to get in there, just drill out the rivets. The rivets are soft aluminum, just a few seconds of drilling for each, and you can rivet the speakers back in with a $10 kit.

It was no big deal to do that when I swapped my speakers for nice aftermarket ones. Just use a short drill bit so you don't accidentally dimple the door skin.

11. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Using an aluminum rivet of a steel panel is not ideal and will promote rust, Use a steel rivet.

12. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't swear that what I drilled out was aluminum, but it yielded to the drill so easily that it was my first guess.

13. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I took the speaker off (Leadfoot, they are aluminum rivets, but wrapped in a plastic shell so the aluminum isn't touching the steel) and this is what the inside of the doors look it.

I can't reach where the rust is unfortunately, but I've coated the inside seam and the exposed rust (that I brushed first) with Ospho 605. I'll add another coat once this one as dried out.

Edit: The link to the images is giving problem so I've uploaded the images here too.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. W9lfik

W9lfik New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How does it look today I got same issue on right back door but more in back area and drivers got a lot of bubbled up paint

15. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The inside of the door (not the panel) seems fine on both doors (no rust) but the outside of the driver side (worst side) is showing some rust leaking. Next spring, I'll take off the panel again, reapply Ospho, grind the outside to remove the rust, apply Ospho, apply a filter, sand, paint and recoat. Being that low, I won't mind the small difference. You have to look to see it already and it can only be better.