1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the Prius specials waning or gone now?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Skoorbmax, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the last year the biggest dealership locally has, in its specials, always had a Prius. I just checked now and this is I think the first time it's not listed. Corolla, camry, rav4, sienna, but no Prius to be seen...

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Supply and demand. When gas prices go up, the demand for the prius goes up too. No need to have additional incentives.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agree, but wonder if it's an anomaly. I cannot find much in the way of specials at two others I chose. One hinted at Prius specials but was non-committal.

4. Gallery

Gallery New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the process of buying my Prius now and every dealership gave the same speech about how they can't discount the car because gas prices are going up and they can't keep them on the lots. However, almost every dealer was willing to negotiate down close to what I wanted to pay for the car. If gas prices continue to rise I suspect they wont be willing to budge off the sticker price. Especially when the weather gets nicer.

5. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yeah, there's been big ads in the paper here all winter for Prius specials!
    lease and low interest rate offers. I will look at the Saturday paper this week that is the big car ad day here! I suppose all the 2010s are just about gone?
    gas is going up and up! no need for incentives! Remember 3 to 6 month wait list I got caught with that with my '09!

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealership where I purchased only has 3 II's on the entire lot and is not expecting any more till the end of the month. He said they sold two yesterday and some of the inbounds already have deposits on them! I knew I should have bought 2 back in July 2010 and just parked one in the garage, I could have probably flipped it and made a few Grand!

7. Hybrid Man

Hybrid Man New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have Prius specials on all of our 2011 and three 2010s we have left here. It is all about inventory and dealer reputation. If you feel like driving to MA we can get you a great price instead of an excuse.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lol, thanks HybridMan. I am good for now but perhaps some others could take advantage of that !

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The AAA price for 2011's is still invoice but that won't last forever. As the 2010's disappear so will the incentive. I wouldn't bet on it still being around in April. Perhaps the free maintance will last as a couple oil changes don't cost much and it keeps Toyota on the list with the Germans. Keeping a customer at the dealer & away from the indy shops for a couple years has its own benefits.

10. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Prius demand is way up, especially in CA. I have had dealers in AZ and NV as well as NM where I used to be able to swap vehicles off, get a Prius and give them other cars back in exchange now insisting on trading Prius for Prius from port.

Forget invoice. If gas gets any higher tham $4.25 a gallon here, I predict Prius back to MSRP again in 4 weeks of that time, perhaps sooner. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

I am getting 20-30 requests a day for Prius now, and that's 600-900 cars a month on average. No one gets that many Prii. :)

Dianne

11. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here in New England, the TV ads are still offering 0.9% on Prius. Just saw an ad yesterday. I think it was for a 2011, but not sure.

12. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The published terms here for this month thru April 4th are the 2.9 apr for up to 60 months OR a special low lease rate OR a $500 rebate.

I look for that to change dramatically as the demand rises. I'm willng to bet the rebate vanishes. The rates may waver upwards slightly. The money that's slated for Prius will end up on V6 models, perhaps even trucks and SUVs.

The car, once again, at 50MPG will be "the deal" and the rate specials will mean nothing to buyers trying to accomplish going far far more mileage on a far smaller amount of fuel.

We don't need the rebate or the 2.9 to sell the cars now. Not with other banks already offering 2.9 and even TFS at 3.75% for good credit. The lease is good but it's not the best we ever had.

The time to snag a Prius at good rates or good prices is now, since you can't exactly turn back the hands of time to last summer and early fall. :D

Di

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like somebodies enjoying rising gas prices! glad i already got mine!

14. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh Bisco - no no

No, Bisco. Honest, it's a hellatious time when the cars are scarce .. you have no idea.

I quote cars like crazy, am the hero when everyone's marking them up and I am not... but, I stick names on cars and mark them sold and then tell folks "sorry, the xxx is sold" and the guy buying THAT xxx car drives by a dealership, wants a car early and buys their car (for more usually) because the desperation sets in and they don't wanna wait or they are worried, whatever... and then I have cars that I have turned folks away on that are suddenly available ... and retail buyers streaming in downstairs like locusts... it's a mess for me.

People trust me to hold their car, hold their place in line, hold the line with their pricing and terms as best I am able with monthly terms and rates in centives etc moving around... but to tell you the truth, even with a deposit, you cannot trust everyone to be as full of faith and trustworthy as I am. I can do everything right... but I cannot trust someone 100% to buy the car they SAID they wanted FOR SURE. It should go both ways but it doesn't.

15. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's why I'd hate being in sales because I know people are like this for everything from cars to houses to a $50 TV they just told you they'd "come right now to pick up" that you posted on craigslist.