1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are the valet instructions really THAT difficult?!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hdrygas, Aug 17, 2004.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In late October I am planning go to a Portland hotel that has only valet parking. I am considering a Keynote presentation.

2. mboileau

mboileau New Member

SS/SE wasn't even a consideration! I always disable that when trying to valet. That way the valet card instructions are the ONLY way to operate the vehicle. It also helps to be sure they don't accidently leave the car unlocked by touching a handle after they've clicked the fob.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Problem is, some people just go blank when confronted with something unexpected. The best advice is to tell them, "I'll drive it myself. This car is different than other cars."

I don't let anyone drive mine.

Unrelated anecdote: in Mexico there is a surprisingly-common car-theft scam. Some guy with a uniform puts up a "Valet Parking" sign in front of a nice restaurant, in an area where parking is hard to find (which is just about everywhere). Someone comes along and hands over his keys. The thief gives him an official-looking claim ticket and drives the car away. The owner never finds his car or the valet.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is a GREAT idea. I won't have to wait for my Pruis. I'll put up a Prius only valet sign and put something like "Experenced Prius driver, don't trust yours to anyone else!!" And I'll drive away with my new Pruis.

THANKS
    Alpha

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't tell them I sent you.

6. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It happend to me as well, since in Japan there is no valet parking unless going to expensive hotel. But a one day I went to store to install security device. No more than 5min salesperson told me need some help, because they dont know who to start or drive it.

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    theft protection?

If a valet reading a card can't figure out how to get the car moving, a thief would be in a worse situation. No?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: theft protection?

Depends on whether or not the thief is familiar with the car. Could be someone on a waiting list...

But yes, the unusual workings of the Prius would probably foil some would-be thieves, assuming they had a fob in the first place. The car is already extremely theft-resistant.