1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there any LRR tires that excel in puncture resistance or run flat?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by marjorie030758, Oct 7, 2012.

1. marjorie030758

marjorie030758 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Prius friends.

I'm a single mom, one-car family with a 2o11 Prius that I love.

A flat or low tire can be a big problem for our family (experienced this a few weeks ago with a nail in the tread) and wonder if there is a good quality LRR tire that also has a good puncture resistance rating or allows for running flat to the tire repair shop?

Thinking ahead as to when I need to replace my factory installed Goodyears.

Thanks in advance.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Run flat tires add extra material to stiffen the sidewalls so that the tire doesn't collapse when out of air. This extra material causes extra losses when the sidewall flexes and therefore reduces MPG. I asked the Nokian engineer this exact question and he admitted that the Nokian run-flats have reduced MPG results when compared to the ones that are not run-flats.

My solution is a AAA membership and a good spare tire.

JeffD

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Carry a good 12v compressor and have someone show you how to use it. You want a high quality unit that will fill it quickly which will allow you to get to a tire or repair shop. Often nail holes will take many hours or even days to lose pressure. Even better would be a portable jump starter with a compressor, combined with instructions on how to jump a Prius. Many knowledgeable people do not know how to jump a Prius. This can be a bigger problem than a flat and cause a tow to a dealer.