1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

are there other subsidies of Prius besides tax credit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by timbobo3, Oct 3, 2007.

1. timbobo3

timbobo3 Junior Member

A friend recently told me the US Govt subsidizes the Prius beyond the tax credit. Is this true? How much per car? :huh:

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timbobo3 @ Oct 3 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]520954[/snapback]</div>
    I think your friend is, simply, wrong. Some states offer additional hybrid tax credits.

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timbobo3 @ Oct 3 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]520954[/snapback]</div>
    I think you need to find another friend... Beyond the former tax credit, about the only other government sponsored advantages are less gasoline tax because you are buying less fuel, HOV lanes with only a single occupant, and some communities offer reduce parking rates to hybrids.

Keith :unsure:

4. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Guy @ Oct 3 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]520981[/snapback]</div>

Let's not forget NO SMOG check in some states.

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some employers offer credits to their employees. My employer (Bank of America) gave me $3000 for buying a Prius.

6. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timbobo3 @ Oct 3 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]520954[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota is a Japanese car maker. I don't fully understand the Japanese business system, but there are arguements that the Japanese government subsidizes a lot of things.

Kind of like Boeing claims Airbus is subsidized. But Airbus claims the same for Boeing (Boeing has a lot of government contracts).

The US Govt subsizided the domestic automakers in the 90's to help create hybrid cars for the 21st century. It was called the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles. Prototypes were created, but never went anywhere.

I have heard that Toyota saw this as a threat and was part of their decision to start developing the Prius.

Current federal tax credits for hybrid vehicles subsidize all automakers equally - Part of that was the 60k vehicle limit.

7. macguyver

macguyver Dis-Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alanh @ Oct 3 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]521016[/snapback]</div>
    Google also offers a similar incentive to their employees. I am uncertain of the specifics (I do not work for them, but know folks who do). More employers are beginning to introduce these kinds of programs. May be a good thing to ask about when interviewing. Better return in some cases than stock options. :)

Brief off-topic: I know that the Google founders are very interested in reducing their environmental impact. One of their on-campus cafes sports food from within a certain mile radius and there are a LOT of public bicycles available for commuting between buildings. They even have these crazy multi-person bicycles for holding small, outdoor meetings while riding around the campus. No joke.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cars in general, though not the Prius specifically, are subsidised in many ways. What we pay to own and operate a vehicle does not cover the full costs.