1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there problems with Nav 4.2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rlcarr, Dec 1, 2005.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

My 2004BC (bought 8/18/04) is eligible for the free Nav update, but obviously the clock is ticking.

I've seen from other threads here that some (few) people are now getting 5.1 when they do the free update while most are getting 4.2.

I have seen at least one post here (and comments in other fora) that 4.2 actually causes some new problems (routes disappearing, etc.) and have seen the sad-face emoticon used by people getting 4.2 instead of 5.1 with the free update. However, I also saw a post here that said at least one report of missing roads was due to users' misunderstanding of the significance of coverage areas.

So, is the only downside of getting 4.2 instead of 5.1 simply that you don't get some of the new features (are there some for 5.1 in '04 Prii?, or do only '06 Prii with 5.1 get new features) or the absolute latest data? Or are there actual problems with 4.2?

Thanks!

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been reading the Nav update posts since Toyota sent out the notification letters. I've decided to go forward with the update just to get more current POI data. I've been hoping for the most current version but will be satisfied with 4.2 if that is what I get (I have 3.3 now). I don't believe the routing performance of 4.2 is significantly different than previous versions but the detailed coverage areas are somewhat different based on this post. So the benefits are somewhat dependent on where you are located.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One benefit with 4.2 is that if guidance information is not available for turn-turn guidance, it will still highlight your probable route in light blue. This is significant for me where the residential roads in my area are not available for turn-turn guidance. This was strange to me, since the street names and their address ranges were available, and my area is more suburban than rural.