1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are there software issues for 2004?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, Apr 17, 2005.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was reading some of the posts on the hybrid board of edmunds. It appears the folks that post there aren't as savvy as the ones that frequent this forum. There are also the idiots that troll the boards and knock the Prius as just a fad with tons of issues. This brings me to the point. Recently there have been numerous posts regarding software issues which render the vehicle helpless. I have nearly 27,000 trouble free miles on an early build 2004 (picked it up 11-8-03). I have NEVER had any updates done to the car as I believe in the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have only done the maintenance as prescribed in the manual. This car is simply amazing. I'd like your thoughts on this issue.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That forum is loaded with problems. The host's primary goal is to keep discussions going. So drawing a hard conclusion, which would bring the thread to an end, is very very very low on their priority list. They don't allow you refer to other websites either. So anything available on mine or other forums is totally off limits. (The anti-hybrid crowds loves to exploit that.) And the obscure format makes it incredibly easy for facts to be lost & twisted.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, there have been some reprogramming, but most of the time, even if someone got the christmas tree, the car would restart fine after either a few minutes or a few retries.

At least the 04/05 can be reflashed. The classics had to have the ECU replaced.