1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are These Mods Available?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by M8s, Nov 5, 2011.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a new Prius v5 and it is perfect right now. I'd like to keep it that way (or as close as possible). So I've ordered mud flaps, a cargo mat and wheel locks from the PriusChat Shop (thanks Danny). But I still need some items, namely:

Color Matched Body Side Moldings. I put these on both of our 2009s and they look great. But I didn't see any body side moldings in the PC Shop for the 2010 + Prius. If they make them for the 2010+ Prius, then would the Blizzard Pearl color be a match for the Prius v? Does anyone plan to make them specifically for the Prius v, which has slightly longer doors? (Given the Prius v's large plain-looking doors, I think side moldings would dress it up a bit).

Hard Plastic Bumper Protector. The PC Shop indicates that these will be available eventually. If I can't wait, what are my options? Will the bumper protector for a regular Prius fit well? Or how about one from a Lexus RX or Highlander? I'd like one that rolls over the edge of the bumper like it does on the Prius. (I use it to tie my golf spikes so it's an urgent necessity).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the short term? I'd recommend not tying your golf spikes on the bumper of your vehicle.

In the long term? I'd be patient. We are so programmed in the US to seek out 'instant" gratification. I'm just guessing, if you don't get exactly what you want? If you compromise with the wrong moldings or a make-do bumper protector, then when the "real" items become available you'll just be unsatisfied. Then you'll be tempted to buy them again...

I'm also speculating that Toyota will offer a specific side molding and a specific bumper protector.

I'd say, enjoy your mudflaps, cargo mat, and wheel locks, and just hold on. Or at the very least? Don't buy something simply to get it today, that is really a compromise you won't like tomorrow.

I think advertising has programmed us to believe we need to purchase, and purchase as quickly as possible. But sometimes waiting and anticipation can really be the fun part.

3. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You don't consider that a desperate necessity for a happy life?

Actually, I wish I had bought Lexus RX bumper guards for our 2009s . . . but that's more about my sense of humor than instant gratification.

About the body side moldings, I don't see any listed for the 2010+ Prius in the PC shop. Perhaps I just overlooked them. Or perhaps the vendor (I don't think they were OEM) just couldn't match the paint colors for those years. So, what I'm wondering is (a) do they make them in 2010+ paint colors, (b) if so, do those colors match the Prius v colors, and (c) does the vendor intend to make longer ones for the Prius v or just make do with the ones they (hopefully) make for the 2010+ Prius?

As you can see, none of this is about instant gratification. I've had loads of experience with deferred gratification. I just want to know if the vendor has (or intends to make) what I want. Before I get dinged, if possible.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well all the colours except Clearwater Blue are available so technically if you like the design, they'll work. (just note that Magnetic Grey will require the Gen 2 design since the Gen 3 has Winter Grey in lieu of Magnetic Grey)

5. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you TP, that answers two of my questions. The PC Shop does, in fact, sell 2010+ body side moldings and they are available in Blizzard Pearl (which I hope is the identical color used on my Prius v). Can't understand how I missed that but I did look before posting.

So, now all I need to know is whether they will offer longer ones for the Prius v. The Prius v front door is about 3/4" longer and the back is several inches longer (where the side moldings go).

BTW, I use a carpenter's chalk line to make sure I get them on straight.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. I forgot that both doors were longer. Oops!

Yes it's the same. Toyota rarely offers more than one pearl white and it's usually reserved for its nicer models or special editions (e.g. Camry Hybrid 50th Anniversary Edition in the US and 2009-2011 Yaris RS).

7. M8s

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Everyone:

The PriusChat Shop now has color-matched body side moldings for the Prius v. From the picture posted at the PCShop, they fit the longer doors of the Prius v perfectly. Can't wait for them to get here.

Thanks again, Danny