1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are these "repairs" necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by revglenrose, Feb 9, 2011.

1. revglenrose

revglenrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Took my 41K 2007 Prius to the dealer for oil change and tire replacement ($112!). Dealer was very insistent that these repairs are crucial -- but the car is running fine so I said we'd put it off. Now I need help:
    1. Wipers - $30 (I think my wiper blades are fine)
    2. Throttle body cleaner - $168
    3. Resurface rotors - $170 - he gave this as measurement: 10/32
    but I have no idea what it means.
    4. Cabin filter - $65 - I've already found a video that shows me how to do this myself for much less. Is it necessary?
    5. Brake flush - $159.
    6. Evaporator flush - $149.

I plan to drive this car for another 5 years, so I want to keep it in good shape. But I am already suspicious of this dealer from a previous encounter (the infamous headlight problem), and don't want to be padding his profit margin if it's not necessary.

Thank you.
    Revglenrose

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is necessary to periodically replace the cabin air filter (at least at 30K mile intevals) but it is not necessary to pay $65 for that if you can do it yourself and buy the filter for $15 -$20.

You were correct to decline all of the other suggested repairs if you do not notice driveability or other issues.

3. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) If you're happy with your wipers then don't bother, but at any rate you can do it yourself for much less.
    2) I'd ask why they're suggesting this as it shouldn't be necessary.
    3) Not sure about what the correct spec on the rotors is supposed to be, however it seems mighty early to be having any brake issues.
    4) Definitely do this yourself, it's fast and easy. As for necessity, just pull your old filter and take a look at it. If it's really dirty then go ahead and replace it.
    5) Again, something I'd question. You shouldn't need to do this yet.
    6) Same again, shouldn't be necessary.

At 40K you should only need oil changes and tire rotations. Maybe take a look at your 12 volt battery because it's starting to reach the end of it's lifespan...

You can find the scheduled maintenance guide for your car at: Toyota Parts and Service

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would bet good money that expensive work would make the car worse than before. Then you can become a regular customer. You're right, what kind of measurement is 10/32? The rotors are 5/16" thick? If you need new rotors, get new ones, wouldn't trust the machining abilities of that shop. If you need new rotors at 41k though, I would eat my hat, if I had one. Don't let them touch the AC system if it is working fine, or if it isn't fine, take it elsewhere. What a sales pitch, how can they sleep at night. IMHO.

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I'd be pretty shocked if your rotors were 10/32" (0.3125") thick. Standard thickness is 0.866", minimum spec is 0.787". (I'm loving my Bentley book!)
    Less than half of minimum? In 41K miles? If it's really true then there is a much bigger problem than just a resurface.
    I'd report that dealer's predatory tactics to Toyota if it were me.

- D

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Past) Time for a new dealer.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree find another dealer, and I'd let the Owner of the dealership know why

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got an oil change a 4 tires for a hundred fourteen bucks? great dealer!

9. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    NONONONONO!!!!!!!
    run away,
    you need to learn more about cars so you dont get ripped off.
    most of those services would likely shorten the life of the component,
    and you only do them when there is a noticeable problem.
    you will own many cars in your lifetime, basic knowledge of maintenance and what to do , what not to do will save you thousands over a lifetime.
    i know many people who go to the dealer every year for inspection and spend 3000 4000 dollars , EVERY YEAR!!!!! and there was nothing wrong with the cars/minivan.
    they think maintenace on a vehicle is supposed to cost that much, and all teh stuff the dealer tells them is imperative to fix, dangerous to not fix...
    when in reality, you dont fix it unless it is totally broken.
    you need to learn what basic maintenance is important to do as a preventative measure,
    and what not to F with, unless it really needs it!!!!

10. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyway, like machining rotors is going to increase the thickness!

Sounds like the only thing being done here is the stealer trying to fatten his bottom line.