1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we gonna have to pay more taxes now??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Dec 4, 2005.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :(

So, my grandma called me, she was all worried for me. She said that she heard on talk radio that the State of CA is very upset that they aren't getting all the tax money they should be because of hybrid drivers. She said they are devising different plans to force hybrid drivers to have to pay taxes on top of fuel!!

I told her not to worry, they have been trying for awhile... but the concept is stupid!

So, why are they just now doing this? They didn't tax the people that downsized before... People that bought a Geo Metro, or a small car- so why US??!! I would be very upset if something passes!

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Depending on which shout/deceive/talk radio Prophet granny was listening to, you may want to advise her to have a cup of decaf and listen to classical music.

I'm getting very annoyed that a handful of what I consider wingnuts are getting this much play for their harebrained and politically impractical schemes.

To my knowledge, one CA legislator, regarded by most as an extremist, has said this. (As a matter of fact, CA state coffers are now overflowing, and Arnold may not even need his bond issue.)

Worse, IMO, is the mentality of disdain and, yes, possibly hate behind this thinking. I'll bet you lunch that these are the people who see us as sandal-wearing, Spotted Owl-defending radicals. Pure and simple, they want to punish us.

Do you hear them also espousing windfall profits taxes on their more respectable friends in, say, the energy and pharmaceutical industries?

Shall we also lay a new tax on those who install solar energy panels, and thus will pay reduced or no utility taxes? All those who shop at Wal-Mart (yes, I said it!), who pay less than their fair share of sales taxes?

Lots of possibilities, when you think of it.