1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we not treating our bladders right?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YoDaddyAlex, Apr 2, 2007.

1. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Would the solution to the problem of the fuel bladders becoming smaller just be to never let the tank go below 50% or so?

Just wondering if the design of the bladder could be slowly expanded by making sure there is always an almost full load in it. I can't seem to fill in anything above 6 or 8 gallons

2. ohm86

ohm86 New Member

Do you always visit the same gas station? The 7-11 just up the street from my house NEVER lets me put more than 6-7 gallons in, even when I'm down to one flashing pip. If I go a little farther down the street (to a no-name kind of place), I can get a full tank: no special "tricks" required and no topping off. It clicks off right around 10 gal like I would expect.

It might also help to use the middle hands-free locking position on the pump handle instead of the fastest. That's just what I've culled from other threads.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Apr 2 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]416774[/snapback]</div>
    I only buy at half a tank when I see prices rising. I don't save much money, it's the personal satisfaction. I can't say it makes any difference. The speed setting on the pump probably makes a bigger difference.

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

The car is programmed to try to keep the gas at 60% Full (about 5 pips). It tries very hard to do this but still uses the tank as a buffer to store gas energy and as a source for extra gas when it's needed. As the SOF gets further from the 60% target the harder the bladder tries to get it back to the 60% number.

Remember, also, that even when you see all bars filled the gas tank is still at or below 80% actual SOF...and when you see 1 blinking bar it's still above 40% SOF...at least that's what people claim when they run out of gas or can't put as much in as they think they should be able...

Sorry, totally ripped off this post referring to battery instead of gas tank, but am claiming parody.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ Apr 3 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]417442[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about you guys, but my bladder seems to be getting smaller. Another coffee and oops, time to visit the gas station again... :D