1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we overemphasizing MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by John in LB, Mar 22, 2007.

1. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are many goals while driving, only one of which is optimizing gas mileage.

I find that there is a little too much overemphasis on gas mileage here - it's cute for a little while - but on a continuous basis, starts to really look anal.

As an example, I have seen posts here mention people driving extra miles to raise their MPG average. This is ridiculous. The whole point of this car is to reduce overall fuel consumption. Some people do this by getting rid of their car completely... most of us who bought the Prius' reduced fuel consumption by getting a more efficient vehicle - without dramatically reducing the number of miles we drive.

On a more pragmatic point, I have observed that people actually drive their Prius more than they would have otherwise done so if it was another model. What I am saying, is that it seems that we are more willing to go places (e.g., Sunday drives, or take our friends places) with our Prius.. because we think it uses hardly any gas to do it.

If we assume that each of us drives an extra 10% a year because we own a Prius, then in effect, we are really wasting an extra 10% of fuel that needs to be accounted for (for you anal types - this means that your 50 MPG average is really a 45 MPG effective average).

There may be a behavioral issue here which economic and energy consumption modeling may not be taking into account. An interesting psychology study....

What do the rest of you Prius owners think? Do you think you drive more miles now than before you had a Prius? Especially for the reasons that I mentioned above.

OH... and by the way..... I get 64.239816 MPG average !!! (just kidding...) :p :rolleyes:

2. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 22 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]410087[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with a lot of what you say. There is a tendency to use the car more when it's new (a) to experience the feeling of driving a different sort of car and (B) because you think it's using very little fuel.

It reminds me of the time a few years ago when I started replacing filament light bulbs in the house with low wattage equivalents to save electricity. When I first had these new bulbs I used to leave lights on longer because of the thought they they were not using much power. I expect a lot of other users were doing the same.

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am driving the Prius a lot more than we did our old car (2000 Avalon). The reason is the fuel econony. However the total milage between our 2 vehicles is about the same. I also have a Ford SporTrac which gets about 12/14 MPG city & 18 MPG highway. I use the Ford to haul trash from our yard, hauling large items, surf fishing (4X4), etc. Since we bought the Prius my truck milage has decreased dramatically. One thing I did not expect with the Prius is how large the storage area is. It's deceiving how much you can actually fit into the Prius.

4. nwpa

nwpa New Member

The Prius is our only automobile and I do not drive for the sole purpose of increasing MPG. I drove our former auto, a Subaru Legacy Wagon in order to increase the MPG without causing anger or accidents. For example, I planned my trips for efficiency, coasted up to red lights, accelerated to keep up with traffic flow and then backing off of the throttle.

I drive the Prius in much the same way except that the machine makes the effort much easier and much more pleasurable.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting dialog you've started here. I'll respond to some of your specific comments.

I find that there is a little too much overemphasis on gas mileage here - it's cute for a little while - but on a continuous basis, starts to really look anal.

I'll admit, I'm anal. Too much emphasis on mileage? Certainly if overall consumption actually increases (see below). For me, I don't consider it overemphasis. My overriding goals are to put as little money as possible into the pockets of foreign oil exporters hostile to the U.S. and to save me money. As a means to the end, it's become a challenge to push my fuel economy as high as possible. Instant gratification is a powerful tool. Especially in the hands of the anal-retentive!

As an example, I have seen posts here mention people driving extra miles to raise their MPG average. This is ridiculous.

Agreed! I have made alterations in my commute routes that make them longer but use less total fuel. The new routes are much better suited to high-FE driving.

On a more pragmatic point, I have observed that people actually drive their Prius more than they would have otherwise done so if it was another model.

I drive it more than my previous vehicle. But that's because its mileage compares favorably to other cars I could choose from to drive or ride in (e.g., my fiancee's or friends' cars) for trips I would make anyway. That wasn't the case with my previous vehicle: an SUV. In fact, I'm probably making fewer total trips after discovering how much of a hit fuel economy takes from short trips on a cold engine. I'm more likely now to combine trips.

OH... and by the way..... I get 64.239816 MPG average !!! (just kidding...)

Good discussion! Oh ... and by the way ... my current tank sits at 61.2 MPG!!! (not kidding...) :p :rolleyes:

6. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Good point about the 10% extra. I cycle 1,000 miles each year so I can add this into my average of 58.129 to give 61.92 mpg. (UK gallons). Neat.

7. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ Mar 22 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]410135[/snapback]</div>
    ^^^^^ Anal.....^^^^^

lol.....

[​IMG]

8. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 22 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]410087[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Two points to make here: I think we should measure gallons per month, not miles per gallon. That would be a truer measure of our environmental impact / funds to OPEC / trade deficit contribution.

Secondly, Jevons Paradox is an old paradigm of a similar nature. Studying the use of coal in steam engine trains, he found that making the trains more efficient meant that more work could be done for the same amount of coal, so instead of reducing the coal usage, railroad companies added more routes to their schedule, increasing their income. So improving efficiency doesn't generally reduce consumption, by itself. I'm not sure that totally applies in this case, because 1) gas prices are increasing, whether or not we're more efficient 2) driving also takes time, and people don't have unlimited time for driving. While you get 2x the mileage, you're unlikely to spend 2x the time behind the wheel.

In my case, I've reduced the miles I drive since I've gotten the Prius, but that's largely due to getting a closer job, then the job actually moved even closer to my house. As soon as the weather clears, I'll start biking (got over 1.6" rain yesterday!)

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's "overemphaszed" per-se. Some people take it more seriously than others and I don't think they can be blamed. One of the car's major attractions is its fuel economy, after all. Chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks." If it isn't your thing you shouldn't be harassed about it, likewise for them.

My philosophy on fuel economy resembles a breakfast cereal commercial: "Fuel efficiency is part of a well balanced driving style." I think that being aware of fuel economy and making an effort to improve it is a good thing. Pushing it once in a while on a desolate stretch of road may be a good way to learn about the car, and reporting the results of experimentation is a great way to educate others about their options.

However I encourage people to balance fuel economy with other aspects of driving, not the least of which is courtesy for other drivers with other priorities. And I believe that the results of that effort can come in the form of very good numbers. You don't have to use every trick in the book to make a difference during your day-to-day.

Very important point: "We" are a group with different ideas about the issue of fuel economy. It is necessary to accept that there is no clear-cut right or wrong, and that a consensus on the issue is very unlikely.

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fuel efficiency is a good indicator of cost, GHG emissions, durability and other factors. Not the best indicator, but you can look to vehicles with low fuel efficiency as a good indicator of higher operating cost, greater GHG emissions, more maintenance demands and a greater carbon footprint.

Vehicles should have hour meters and be judged by a combination of factors to arrive at an Energy Efficiency Index (EEI) just as structures are rated.

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 22 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]410184[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think the OP was dissing fuel economy, just that with too much emphasis on it, some people will actually drive farther than needed 1) to improve mpg value, 2) because it uses less fuel you can go farther on same gallon. Point 1) is pretty silly, but I know I've been tempted. My commute over the winter was 8 miles, and it took the first 1/3rd of that to warm up. After that it would be fine, but my mileage dropped below 40 mpg because of my short commute, whereas that fly-in-the-ointment TonyPSchaefer would get 50 mpg all winter long, similar conditions but a longer commute (and an EBH I think). I still think gallons per month is a better measure (sorry Tony).

You are correct with the statement that we are not a homogeneous group, so obviously one statement won't fit all.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If people want to go out of their way to get the highest MPG possible, go for it. Me, I'm happy with the 40 MPG I've been getting lately (especially since I know it will get even higher once the warm weather decides to return). I figure, I drive so little that I probably get more DAYS per gallon than some guy who's getting 65 MPG but drives 40 miles every day.

13. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I purchased my Prius because of the fuel mileage. Specifically, I purchased the Prius to reduce my gasoline use to help in a small way to move us away from oil as our transportation fuel.

I have ended up driving more miles but end up using less gasoline. Examples:

I my new route to work is 7.5 miles instead of 7.0 miles. By going 0.5 miles out of my way I don't have to go up and down two large hills (~250 foot elevation gain). When driving the longer route the fuel mileage is better and I burn less total gasoline on my commute. (7.5 miles @ 50mpg is 0.15 gallons / 7.0 miles at 45 mpg is 0.155 gallons)

Now I always drive when the guys from the office go out to lunch twice a week. Before the 3 of us would take a S-10 and Tacoma to lunch that each got about 20 mpg for about 1.5 gallons for the 15 mile round trip. Now we take only one car, my Prius, and only use 0.33 gallons of fuel. So less total fuel used but more miles on my car.

I don't drive the Prius for "Sunday Drives". The Prius is a VERY boring car to drive. It is great for commuting from A to B but doesn't inspire me to drive it for the sake of driving. If I'm going to go for a drive just for the enjoyment of driving I ride my motorcycle.

14. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When we have a comfortable car that gets better mileage than most motorcycles, why not enjoy that?

But while we are about that, don't forget that mileage calculations are only estimates.

We assume that the odometer is accurate.

We assume that the pump measuring the gasoline is accurate.

We assume that the temperature of the gasoline delivered is constant (the volume is dependent on the temperature).

We assume that the tire size stays the same when it changes as it wears.

We assume that our calculations are correct.

We are probably within 5% plus or minus of correct. Maybe worse. Maybe Better.

It is an estimate.

15. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 22 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]410184[/snapback]</div>

BRAVO!!! I say... you are on the mark.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Mar 22 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]410230[/snapback]</div>
    Au contraire - My Prius is the first car I owned that I sometimes drive just for the sake of driving it because it's so fun.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I never drive my car extra distance just to improve my FE. I do drive a different route, but the total distance is nearly identical.

Also, I drive my car when I need to go somewhere and I don't drive it when I don't need to go anywhere. I think that's most people. If I "need" to go for a Sunday drive with my family then I do, but I'd have taken that same drive if I still had my Ford Expedition too, so I'm still saving gas.

As to the issue of "too much emphesis", you've got a self selected audience here at PC where to most of us FE is as much a game and a challenge as it is a reasonable goal. I like to push the limits of the car and my driving skill to see what's possible. In my own way I think that some of the things we do here are seen by Toyota and taken into consideration for future versions...PHEV for example. Econ button for example (that will be on the '08 Highlander Hybrid). And who knows, maybe and engine block heater will be part of the PHEV system or a standard feature in future versions. Maybe a CAN-View like screen for technical/FE freaks will be available.

But it is fun. Anal, probably at times, but if it ever gets so bad that it's no fun I'll be the first to quit doing it.

Oh.... 58.9mpg current tank, 66.0 last tank.

18. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 22 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]410087[/snapback]</div>

Took the thought right out of my head. I drive my prius exactly the same amount that I used to drive my Outback. This topic came to such an ridiculous level in my way of thinking when I read about the Prius (or Insight) Marathon; get a bunch of prii together and drive them to see how high you can get the MPG and for how far. Wow. That is 1000% opposite of the whole point of even driving a prius to begin with; whether you bought it for the environment, to keep $ out of foreign oil, or to save money on your commute.

It just boggles my mind... :blink:

19. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just posted on this very topic on another site.

Hybrids make maximizing fuel economy into a video game - it can be addicting. There is no reason all vehicle should not have dashboards with them - not a hybrid feature.

The dash has made a lot of people aware of how they are using gas and how to avoid much of it.

Drivers can have all kinds of motives for maximizing mpg. Some have suggested it's vanity, and I think that is overstated, just like those who say all Prius drivers are smug. It's self-improvement, and maybe a "new best game score" for me. I'm still learning new things six years later.

Don't the also do bean-counting in sales, Weight Watchers....?

20. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 22 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]410396[/snapback]</div>
    I am glad you are enjoying yourself. But come on... admit it... you've never run the car a little extra here or there as part of some MPG experiment? I know you have... Or how about you went somewhere that you might not have gone... but what the heck, you said to yourself, my car hardly uses any gas - so who cares and lets go.

By the way, one more thing, we should at least drop the MPG figures down to no more than 2.... based on the accuracy of all the various measurements and the resulting number of significant digits.