1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we special or are our cars special?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by NavyLCDR, Jun 6, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last Friday, Memorial Day weekend, I bought my wife a brand new 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan. Since then I have been looking for a Dodge Grand Caravan forum like Prius Chat. So far I have come up with nothing at all! What the heck? There's like nothing active out there for her van! So is it the drivers of such vehicles are just Plain Janes and have very little interest in their vehicles? Or is it that we are just more interested in getting everything we can out of our vehicles?

2. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok skipper, you might have to send me to a Captain's Mast, but in my humble opinion the answer is "no" to both.

In 1995, Toyota debuted a hybrid concept car at the Tokyo Motor Show, with testing following a year later. The first Prius, model NHW10, went on sale on 10 December 1997. Back then, I would say it was pretty special. The first of it's kind? But now days, the Prius is just too commonplace and becoming unremarkable? Even with the introduction of the Prime, most average people just see it as another Prius.

That said, it's a great car for me. First-time owner. Fantastic gas mileage. Very simple to operate. The technology is wonderful, but I don't know why some owners want to dissect everything, doing all kinds of analysis, and make it sound so complicated. I just fill it with gas, press the start button, and away I go! I drive it like any other car I had. I really don't even think about the technology behind it, I just drive. And the gas mileage is so good I don't even check that anymore. Without even trying I can get 55 to 62 mpg on a regular basis. I don't concern myself with any of that "pulse and glide" stuff. I don't care if it is in EV mode, power mode, eco-mode, or whatever. I just simply enjoy driving it normally. Gets me where I need to go, and it has a history of reliability and low maintenance. That's all I care about.

Not special. I'm just an average guy driving a pretty common car nowadays. Not trying to make any kind of "statement" by owning a Prius. Not an environmentalist, however I do care about nature and the environment. But I'm not a tree hugger. Or an old Hippie. :) I've been driving gas hogs all my life so this Prius is really something. But I have not had even one positive comment about my car. In fact, NO COMMENTS at all. It's no longer a "gee wiz" kind of vehicle. It doesn't turn any heads. I think the Prius has become just ordinary. It's ok to be passionate about things we like, but I don't understand owners who get all emotional and argumentative/defensive about it. Bottom line is, it's a nice car, but it's just another car and it so happens to have a battery under the backseat.

#2 ePWR, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Montgomery and FuelMiser like this.
  3. ePWR

ePWR Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if the time will come, when the hybrid battery will be about the size of a pack of cigarettes? I think Toyota should offer a hybrid version of all their vehicles. They certainly have the technology down pat. I think a hybrid work truck would be a big seller. And A hybrid Corolla. Camry already comes in a hybrid, and the 2018 model will supposedly have better technology, improved gas mileage, etc. I may take a serious look at the new hybrid Camry coming out. But they have to keep these cars affordable for the average Joe and Jane out there. They are getting pretty expensive.

4. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I meant was that PriusChat is always active. There are always people asking questions, giving hints, lots of modifications for the Prius, etc. I can't find any active boards for the Dodge Grand Caravan. It seems like their owners have no interest in them.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree.
    Yes, Toyota has come a long way in making Prius and Hybrids much more mainstream. The Prius is no longer nearly as unique or mysterious as it was for many just a decade or so ago.
    But, for a lot of people, especially 1st time Hybrid or Prius owners, the hybrid aspect is still new. That I think has new owners, seeking out information. Whether they really need it or not.
    Couple that with the fact that I think Prius Chat is just a good site period. Great place to get information. And yes, to new owners the vehicle is still special, and I think this site is "special". New owners still seek Prius Chat out...and veteran owners continue on, to share information, and often continue to learn new things.

I have ran into the same reality as the OP.
    That is, while individual owners websites exist for most all popular vehicles, the activity level and interaction in many of them is graveyard slow.
    Now owning a Honda Fit, I participate in a Honda Fit forum, and while it IS active, it is not nearly as dynamic or as active as Prius Chat.

Any legitimate query in Prius Chat, get's met with a wealth of return. Usually advice comes in great quantity and good quality.
    Conversely? Often queries in other automotive sites for other vehicles get met with crickets and no response.

Does that make the Prius special....I still think so. If not as unique an ownership experience as it once was, it is still a "special" and different ownership experience.
    Does that make "us"...Prius Owners and participants in Prius Chat special?....I think so. Prius owners seem motivated to share information, share experience.
    Sadly, I've seen legitimate "newbie" questions be ignored in other automotive websites. That never really happens in Prius Chat.

Concretely, I have no direct reason to continue to participate in Prius Chat as admittedly I no longer own a Prius.
    I stick around, to get information on the entire automotive world....almost all major news will end up being posted and discussed here. And to keep a finger on the pulse of what is happening with Toyota and Prius. As time passes, I find myself relegated more and more to Freds House of Pancakes...BUT ....I still check in.
    I came to Prius Chat in the period just before 2010, towards the end of the Gen 2 and with the introduction of the Gen 3. It was a REALLY dynamic time for Prius and Prius Chat. People were really excited about the release of the Gen 3. In the period up to and just after the release this place was "packed" with discussion about The Gen 3.

I do think things have died down since that period.
    I don't think the release of the Gen 4, created the same level of excitement or maybe brought in as many new 1st time purchasers.
    But is Prius Chat a "special" site...I think so.
    Are Prius Owners a "special" group...I think so.
    Is owning and operating a Prius still a special and somewhat unique experience in comparison to the majority ICE only vehicles? ...I think so.

Montgomery and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The leaf forum is pretty good as well, and some of the motorcycle forums have a good following and activity, but that's about all I have experience with. Anything else I drove just wasn't important enough to me to even justify looking, or was so old or long ago that forums like this didn't exist. Heck we didn't even have cell phones or the internet back then...Of course I am talking 67 Mustang, 70 Mustang, 70 Firebird, ect..

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Here is someplace to look around. I have a '97 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE and back when I was curious about what ails it I could find information in this forum. Now it is still trucking down the road but uniformly worn out so I don't wonder anymore. And to add to the discussion, PriusChat is unique in that the knowledge base (KB) is ever so extensive and developed, and the participants are remarkably civil.

8. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have to admit, there doesn't seen to be near the mudslinging there was on the motorcycle forums!

I'm new, but so far I think everyone on here seems pretty "Special".

#8 harrysprius, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the problem is the grande caravan.

10. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it's actually a "Vente" Caravan. Or maybe the "Expresso" edition. On that note I'm off to Starbucks.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for that matter, grande camry owners also have no interest in talking about their cars.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not gonna lie, I thought the GC was dead with the launch of the Pacifica. I guess it was replacing the T&C only. Good discounts though (In Canada, there's a 25% sale on GCs which would put the GC Canada Value Package at just under $23,000 plus PDI & taxes or the same price as a Prius c w/ Upgrade Package [same as a Prius c Two]).

FYI, I found you a forum :)

The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

If you want forums outside of North America, keep in mind that the Voyager/Caravan/T&C were sold as the Chrysler Voyager overseas so searching for that name may bring up forums in other countries. Mechanically, they should all be the same. There may be different parts for Caravan vs. T&C but in general, they should still be the same. (like the Camry, Avalon, ES, Solara, Sienna and Highlander all using the same engine and transmission).

13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When forums first started showing up on the internet years ago, I joined quite a few. Never stayed a member very long though. People began to look for ways to bash people. Lots of bullies online. Lots of idiots with negative attitudes, just saying things to incite an angry response. So, when I was thinking of buying a Prius, I googled "Prius" and the Priuschat site came up. I started reading. To be blunt, the people here give a darn!! We joke with each other, we laugh, we enchange healthy dialogue, and we even evict the bullies who come in with their silly one time posts. I usually work weekends so I haven't been able to meet a lot of people in person. I met up with a member to buy some fabric to re-do my doors and I went to a place locally that installs air suspensions, but that is it. I tell you what..........from "Bill the Engineer", "The electric Me", "Rayeagle" and the nice guy from Canada (sorry, I forgot your tag) and many others, you won't find a better online forum. I have learned so much here. This is where I spend a lot of my online time. I really like the pictures of the members cars! And, I really still like the Gen II's interior better than Gen III. One last touching note, if you come here on one of our Patriotic Holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc) you should see the people in here thanking those who have served!! Pruischat!!!.............gotta love it!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree that car forums (in general) seem to have died down. In comparison to some of the other forums I've frequented over the years, I am amazed at the incredible activity level that still continues here at PC. I also agree that most Prius owners are very informed about the details and intricacies of this vehicle. So I concur we are very special when compared to other auto model owners, especially when viewing our involvement.