1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we supposed to replace caps after several years?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kndy, Jun 28, 2023.

1. kndy

kndy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Greetings,

As I like to keep things updated for my maintenance of my Prius-C, I always read to change the oil cap, radiator cap and fuel cap every 3-5 years. Well, I've had my car for nearly seven so I figured I would change it.

The reason why I wanted to change my fuel cap as there have been fuel siphoning by thieves at our worksite area and so, I changed mine to a locking one.

After two days, I got the check engine maintenance light. Hooked up my OBD2 computer and it showed it coming from the fuel area. So, going through the chats, people on here recommended starting and driving up to ten times or clear the code and see if it comes back up.

Now, Toyota told me that you should never have to change the caps for our hybrids unless seals are definitely broken. Not sure if it that is true. The person also told me that locking fuel caps are knowing to leak. Not sure if that's true as well.

Do you change your oil cap, radiator cap or fuel cap?

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...

As I was going through the codes...there is one onimous code that came up, that I had to look up on PriusChat and it was the P3009. Oh oh.... Does that mean my Hybrid battery is about to go in the near future?

My Prius-C is now 7 years nearing 45,000 miles.

Anyway, I had to call my local Toyota dealership to see how much it would cost for a replacement and I guess prices for battery have gone up in price in 2023 and is now $5000.

I did check to see if it's covered within the ten year warranty and they said P3009 could mean a lot of things and I would have to take it in for check as their computers can narrow in on where that issue may come from. And they can make a determination to see if my car is covered by that warranty.

I also went to a site that others have brought up that specializes in recharged/refurbished batteries and would be cheaper. But also reading the chats of those who say by going with Toyota, if I intend to sell the car, I have proof of a battery replacement with another 10-year warranty.

Anyway, thanks for your time everyone. I've valued your posts and learned a lot in these last seven years and many more years to come.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Never changed a gas cap. Well except one time:

With a previous car, heard a whistling sound coming from the cap, when parking after a drive on a hot day. Asked service writer if it was normal, when there for an oil change.

few days later, smelled gas. $&#%^ “mechanics” had taken my question, drilled a hole through the cap’s vent mechanism!

kndy and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No need to change any caps unless there’s a problem.
    If the locking cap is not Toyota, you might have an issue.
    What reader is giving you the code?
    Are you having any issues?
    Maybe try the old cap again

kndy likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Changing the fuel cap usually only happens when you need the antitheft cap, and it sounds like you've got a bogus one. Try the plain one for a few days if you can run the risk. Betcha there's just something wrong about the seal on the locker unit.

Changing the radiator cap used to be a thing with older cars where a pressure release valve was integrated into the cap. No point in changing the cap on a Prius until you detect an actual problem- more important to monitor coolant levels and stay current with coolant replacements.

Changing the oil cap sounds like a superstition. I've never heard of anybody doing that for anything other than cosmetic reasons, getting a cool looking one, race logos, billet style or obtaining a second one to decorate or attach ornaments somehow.

kndy and Doug McC like this.
  5. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Leadfoot is right, put the old cap back on and solve your problem. This is one case of preventive maintenance overkill.

kndy likes this.
  6. kndy

kndy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The locking fuel cap which I went for is a Motorad Locking Fuel Cap.

The reader that I use is the Ancel V6 Pro+.

No issues, just the light coming up. I cleared the code but I might as well put the original cap back. But now it makes me wonder if I should do the same for the others I replaced (oil cap and radiator cap).

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

#6 kndy, Jun 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only issue might be an emissions check