1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we the turkey?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Mar 15, 2010.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was visiting with my friend (and fellow PriusChatter) Allan today, and he was talking about a book dealing with how unexpected occurrences change our lives. The book mentions the situation of a turkey: Born on a farm, never having heard of the slaughterhouse, it spends its days peacefully eating, sleeping, and other pleasurable stuff. Two or three times a day a human comes along and gives it food. It does not have to work or search out its food. The human brings it. It learns to trust and love the human, because the human is always kind to it and provides it with everything it needs. The human is the provider of all that is good.

And then one day the human takes it to the slaughterhouse, where another human wrings its neck or slits its throat, and it dies in horrible agony so that (though it never learns this part) other humans can eat its flesh.

God (if you believe in him) created us and gave us life. He created the world we live upon. He provides us with all the bounties of nature and with everything we need to be happy and healthy.

But wait! Nobody has ever come back from the dead. Maybe god is merely fattening our souls for the cosmic slaughter, where beings who see themselves as superior to us, but who will seem like monsters or demons in our eyes, will feat for eternity upon our flesh.

Like the turkey, we revere and worship our provider. Will we find that in the end we were just as deceived as the turkey?

When one truly contemplates possible outcomes, I am glad that I am an atheist.

2 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Right now, about 1 in 3 American children are veal. :pound:
    It's funny because it's true.

I think you're on to something.
    Or perhaps your on something.

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I don't think there's any question at all that we're turkeys, in infinite hapless variety, even without religion. But your conjecture does explain why the amount of gravy on my shirt appears to be more than I can account for by spillage ...

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chariots of the Gods didn't tell you outright that we are a farmed planet...

But yeah... sure... it darn well could be... especially in a universe that has the theory of chaos as an integral component of physics.

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nicholas Nassim Taelb's 2 books are pretty interesting.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Given the body dimensions of the "average" American, we have moved closer to the porcine end of the barn yard spectrum. Rod Serling explored the fate of man as a meal in the half hour Twilight Zone episode, To Serve Man.

1 person likes this.
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm convinced my cat is convinced I give her food simply so I can collect her poop in the litterbox.

1 person likes this.
  8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Soylent Green is Americans! Soylent Green is made of Americans!

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Humans: The other red meat

Tasty too, especially if roasted or fried with potatoes, garlic, and onions

Yum!

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Daniel that is way too deep for my world, but I have a question as an atheist will you be slaughtered too or is it just the believers?

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The atheists go first.

Tom

12. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Daniel... with your argument, i think you just proved that God (or whomever) loves American's the best. After all, he feeds us the most, fattens us up the most for whatever diabolical plot he has in store for us when we die...

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We are the Butterball Turkeys. The rest get sold as private store brands.

Tom

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First of all, the turkey is a metaphor. God, being a spiritual being, is not going to literally eat our flesh. We already know that when you die, unless you are left out where animals can get you, you are buried and it's worms and bacteria that eat your flesh. But your flesh is dead by then so what do you care?

My point is that just as the turkey trusts the human because the human feeds it, but that trust is misplaced because the human has intentions that the turkey never suspects, so humans trust and worship god because god gives us this fine green world, but god may well have intentions we do not suspect.

People think that god is good because they are told so, and because (except where there's famine) god provides food. But nobody ever comes back from the dead to tell us what really happens. God might not be a nice guy who loves us, after all. He might be a farmer of souls who will devour our spiritual energy after we die. It would sure make more sense when you look at the state of the world.

If the turkey comes to understand the human's true intentions, he can attempt to escape. Most often, he will fail, and wind up in the slaughterhouse with the rest. But the turkey who trusts the human will have no chance at all. Similarly, an atheist's chances of escape are slim, but at least he can try. A believer will walk willingly into the waiting arms of god to be sucked dry, while an atheist may have one chance in a thousand to elude the divine devourer of souls.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    gobble gobble!

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't holy communion eating the "body of Christ" and drinking the "blood of Christ"? :) Turnabout's fair play!

17. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----

Seems like risky business to not trust a God that you believe does not exist so you can deceive this non-existent, all knowing and powerful being. Your description of a sinister god seems more like the classical description of the devil. Although I'm not a defender of God, creationism, or religion, I find it as challenging to maintain a belief that some unseen and sinister being seeks to harvest the souls of man, as it is to accept the existence of God. Comprehending the convoluted logic that our souls are chattel of a ravenous and unopposed god takes more faith than I can muster. What if there is no good or bad, and our ultimate fate is governed by an uncountable and never ending milieu of random events and physics. This too, is beyond my comprehension.

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So wait a minute. Are we turkeys or not? I'm pretty sure that there are some turkeys running around this site.

Tom

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's funny coming from a guy named "Tom"! :p

3 people like this.
  20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Catholics are cannibals. They eat human flesh and drink human blood. Protestants believe in consubstantiation, not transubstantiation, so they are not necessarily cannibals, though of course on an individual basis there may be exceptions.

Turnabout may be fair play, but in this case we know that our flesh rots in the grave, so it's not our flesh we are talking about.

A interesting twist: Catholics eat the flesh of Jesus, but Jesus rose from the grave on the third day, so he's a zombie, as has been pointed out elsewhere. The idea of eating the flesh of a zombie is (pardon the pun!) a very distasteful idea. I'm glad I'm not a Catholic.

Eeeerrrmmmm... what's that again? :D