1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are we Undermining the Safety of American GI's

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If we hold ourselves to a standard the enemy is unwilling to meet are we placing our men and women in greater harms way? And if we are should we do anything about it?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]322193[/snapback]</div>
    We can lead by example setting a moral standard the rest of the world will respect and support or we can lead by example and compromise the values we claim that we stand for and that we claim justifies our actions thereby putting the rest of the world in the position of supporting us despite actions that they may find morally reprehensible or by refusing to support us and drawing our ire and risking the trade and military benefits that come with being a US ally.

I don't think that by having a higher standard we put ourselves at greater risk. If we wish to gain support in the muslim world we have to show that we are not the "ugly Americans" that the extremists propaganda claim that we are. If we stoop to that level then they can say "See, told you. Come join us in our fight against these Godless infidels".

As I've said before, I think we can win this war without sacrificing our values. It might be harder, but ultimately will show us in the light in which we wish to be seen.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 20 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]322201[/snapback]</div>
    Enough obfuscating. A simple yes or no would be fine my good doctor.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]322203[/snapback]</div>
    I know your simple mind likes simple answers, but the world isn't as black and white as you'd like to see it. That said, I believe the first sentence in the second paragraph is clear enough.

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]322193[/snapback]</div>
    The short answer is no. If we believe the enemy is willing to torture regardless what we do, the same will happen whether we torture or not. Remember, torture does not work to obtain reliable information. It might work to obatin the information you wanted in the first place, which is why Bush and Co. probably want it.

Our troops were put in harms way when 10 times less troops were used than what would have been required to secure Iraq. The joint chief of staff was forced to leave after pointing this out to congress and Rumsfeld had his way..

6. glenhead

glenhead New Member

Of course we're placing them in greater harm's way. Roadside bombs, suicide bombers, and beheadings of captured troops are proof positive of that. Being unable to tell the difference between a civilian and an attacker also raises the threat level.

"Do[ing] anything about it" depends on your definition. We can (and do) train them in specifics as the specifics are discovered - how to watch for potential roadside bombs, how to carefully watch for people who are acting "outside the norm" (profiling? oh no!), always travel in groups of at least two, etc. We can (and do) also equip them better - more vehicular armor shielding in the areas most susceptible to roadside bombs, better apparatus for detecting explosives, etc.

We cannot (as in "morally cannot", not as in "are physically unable to") lower ourselves to the level of the antics pulled by our enemy. Waterboarding a prisoner falls far short of beheading him.

7. triphop

triphop New Member

Hah - another flamebaiting topic. The only thing that is undermining our soldiers is sending them into warzones without a clear mission, not ensuring sufficient force strength (Powell Doctrine), not making sure that they are sufficiently equipped (armor, etc).

/ But Clinton... (Just to head off the whining already)

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Sep 20 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]322230[/snapback]</div>
    Well of course it does. But just because it doesn't kill him doesn't make it morally right, either.

I think Evan stated it very well. There are two goals that need to be addressed in the war on terror. One of them, obviously, is the leaders who keep inciting violence against us. That's the military arm of it. I may not like it, but I see the need for it.

The second is to show the average person that we're not "the great satan" that these boneheads claim. And that's where the argument against torture (torture-light, interrogation techniques, whatever you want to call it) comes in. Like it or not, if we appear to mis-treat prisoners, then we give the nutjobs in charge more fuel for their fire and more recruiting propaganda. We're not going to change the minds of the crazies. But we have the ability to sway the minds of the average person. And that's where our actions come in.

Am I saying prisoners should be given champagne, caviar & fluffy pillows? Hell no. But, like it or not, our actions have consequences. And our leaders need to be aware of that and take it into consideration.

Our GIs haven't been safe since they were sent into combat undermanned and underequipped. The crazies are going to continue doing what they do. We have to act in a way that impacts the non-crazies.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Sep 20 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]322250[/snapback]</div>
    Too much hate for this simple mind. Not one person addressed my question. You guys are so full of it you cannot get Bush out of your sights. Now try it again - if you can - focus your great powers of deductive reasoning and higher cortical functioning on what is a simple question.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]322254[/snapback]</div>
    You clearly only see the things you want to see David. Your question has been answered quite clearly and lucidly without any reference (other than your own) to Bush.

Since you seem to be unable to decifer it I'll put my clear answer here, again, for you....
    Please explain, if you would, how that doesn't answer your question.

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 20 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]322254[/snapback]</div>
    Let's see ... no one mentioned Bush, so that argument doesn't hold water. As for the answer to your question, Alric said "The short asnwer is no"; Glen said "Of course it does"; and Evan suggested you read the following line for a simple answer to your simple" question:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 20 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]322201[/snapback]</div>
    So saying no one answered your question is a lie.

Unfortunately, you're going to continue to get long answers to your "simple question" because it's not a "simple" question. It's what's known as a "gotcha" question. If I say yes, then you'll say I should have no problem with waterboarding or any other torture-that's-not-really-torture technique. If I say no, then you ask me whether I think flowers & long walks in the moonlight will get us the answers we need.

For a simple answer to your "simple" question, though, I think our brave men & women will be in greater harm if we lower ourselves to the terrorists level. They'll use it as "proof" that we're evil and ratchet up their rhetoric.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By my count, my good doc, not a single person - including the thread starter - has answered your question.

My answer: 42.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know what. After consideration, I will answer your questions:

Are we putting them in harm's way? Yes
    Should we do something about it? Yes

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Answer is No the first question. Answer is N/A to the second question. Easy as pie.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Sep 20 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]322320[/snapback]</div>
    Try again - how are we not if we hold ourselves to a different standard and have no checks and balances in effect?

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 20 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]322304[/snapback]</div>
    cute but i was looking for intelligent responses.

17. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

Watch out for a RABID DOBERMAN

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 10:43 AM) [snapback]322805[/snapback]</div>
    I thought you were looking for simple answers to your simple question. Which is it?

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]322805[/snapback]</div>
    You get a lucid detailed response from several of us then whine about wanting a simple yes or no. Then you get simple yes and no answers and complain about those. With that kind of logic you must win lots of arguements... :rolleyes:

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 21 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]322821[/snapback]</div>
    Not trying to win arguments - trying to understand what people think and why - always challenging my prevailing thoughts.

My 20 y/o son spent the summer in a "think-tank" in D.C. this summer and I found it as interesting as he did. Put your concept about something up on a table top and try to keep it there with a bunch of others trying to knock it off.

His simple yes no did not address the obvious questions in my post. Sometimes the lucid detailed response may not be lucid enough for me - sorry about that - or I might not have expressed my post or opinion adequately.