1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are Winshield Repairs acceptable alternative to replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, May 21, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Today and the way home from work, I heard a load SNAP! and then saw a spider web looking fracture on my Prius' windshiled about the size a a quarter. :( :angry: The insurance company wants me to try a glass repair instead of replacement, and they say if I am not happy, they will replace it.

I asked if it would be invisible, and she said, no one will notice if they don't know to look for it, but knowing where it is, I can probably see the repair. With that said, I am doubtful I will be satisfied.

So, does anyone have experience to report good or bad results? Am I waisting time letting them try this on my 2007 Prius with only 6000 miles?

My appologies in advance to those who had more serious dammage to their new babies. Forgive me for my whinning.

2. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 21 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]447105[/snapback]</div>
    If you get it done right away and the repair is not right where you look out to see the road in front of you as you drive, you probably will not notice the repair. I waited, once and the repair WAS visible. I think the difference was made because some moisture had worked its way into the crack.

Some repair places won't do a repair if it is in your line of sight just because they have had bad results with unhappy customers.

3. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you. The dammage is all the way on the passenger side, right on the edge. about 1/2 the quarter size shattered area is not visible from inside, becuase the initial rock stike was on the edge over the seal the looks black from the outside.

4. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had damage just as you describe, but somewhat larger than a quarter and in the lower left-hand corner of the windshield. I had the repair performed in the parking lot where I work. The guy said that it was larger than he'd usually consider fixing, but, since it was so far away from the normal field-of-vision, he'd give it a go. He had to drill some extra holes for the resin, but, all in all, it's absolutely un-noticeable. I can find it because I know it's there, but it's really all but invisible. The damage occurred last August, so it hasn't even been a year yet, but so far it has not cracked any further. Time will tell... after another 100 degree plus summer and another 0 degree minus winter we'll see how it holds up. As of today, I'm completely happy.

5. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks!

I was surprised that the insurance lady who actually works for the glass repair company said they could repair up to the size of a dolar bill.

6. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've had a windshield repair before and was amazed by how they could make the crack just disappear! The trick is to get it fixed early, however, because the more time you wait, the more the crack has time to settle and grow (and an unrepaired crack will indeed spread).

On my old windshield, I also had a crack that I think someone tried to repair before I bought the car, but didn't do a very good job on (you could still see a 1/4 inch crack). A few years into ownership, a hot day caused the crack expanded about 3 feet across the windshield!

Out of curiosity, though, did you find out how much it costs to replace the massive windshield on the Prius? I've always kind of wondered that.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Prius windshield is around $240. Same price as the windshield on the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder). I checked when I had it replaced last year. I was amazed is was so little, given the size.

The anti-Prius had three of those "off the visible windshield damage" things before I replaced it. They all grew cracks (but I didn't get any of them repaired). The first one was like yours. The crack grew across about 6" then went up to the top and stopped. The second one was under the drivers wiper blade. The crack moved up 3" then across to the centre and back down. The third and final one was on the drivers side and the crack proceeded across the windshield. Time to replace. I don't get glass insurance. I don't think it's worth it. I pay when necessary. Funny too, all three happened in two years, after 5 years of just minor chips - and most of those minor chips occured in the first two weeks of the vehicles use.

Do ask the insurance co. how long they guarantee the fix - if a crack grows from the original damage in a year will they cover it?

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I had a star crack repaired about 6 yrs ago and it has not spread. Apparently such repairs do not all last that long. Another windshield fixer told me that cracks within 5 inches of any edge are not good candidates.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Something else to consider: Insurance companies will often pay the full price of a repair, whereas your deductible applies to replacements.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Here's another 'windshield crack' story...

Driving my 2004 Prius home from taking delivery, a truck too a pot shot at my windshield with at least one small rock. This resulted in a 'twin' crack, apparently hit in two places about ¼" apart. The damage was directly below my line of sight. the glass company to whom my area dealer sent me would not use the repair procedure with the 'double hit.' The windshield company man said they would only repair a crack that was no larger than a quarter overall.

New OEM (Toyota brand) windshield was installed in about 30 minutes, good clean job, never any leaks or rattles. I was instructed to keep the front doors windows open about ½" for a day until the cement set up.

With a Prius as new as yours, I would insist on Toyota brand complete replacement. Taking the repair only benefits your insurance company unless you have a deductable. I haven't found that Texas insurance carriers are all that generous - you benefit them $200 or $300, and your rates remain the same or go up next term. In my situation, State Farm has two cars, our home, fine art, liability, etc. - they did not question my requirement on windshield replacement.

11. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've always found repairs to be completely unnoticeable.

Here in Colorado you can often have the insurance pay for the entire repair. They consider it a preventative measure to avoid replacement. We have roadside stands that do professional repairs with no out-of-pocket.

If are planning on getting a repair but can't get to it right away, let the car sit in the sun a while to bake all the moisture out of the crack and then completely cover it with tape...clear packaging tape if you need the extra width. Moisture getting in the crack is one of the key driving forces of spreading the crack. I've had a crack covered with tape on the work van for over a year now--it hasn't spread a bit!

Eric

12. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ May 22 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]447273[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you find a windshield at that price?! I got my windows tinted and on the way home a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. 2 days after I bought it. I took it to toyota and they said its going to cost around $900 just for the glass. Probably around $1000 to get it in. I was like "pfft, right, cya later." I called every single windshield repair place in my area. They said "oh it'll be around $320, but I cant seem to find any windshields in stock anywhere." They all said that. Then I figure out that its a toyota only made item, so you have to pay the $900 to get it.

13. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, my insurance co. Safeco, the guys with the ball park in Seattle, said they would pay the full cost of repair, but there is a $250 deductable on replacement. I think they are a good enough company that neither claim would affect my rates. Most good companies don't jack up your rates for no fault type occurances.

The crack repair guy showed up this morning at 9:30 AM and said the crack could not be repaired becuase it was the inner sheet of the laminated glass. Apparently, the outer sheet was able to withstand the hit, but the inner sheet took the brunt of the shock or was weaker or whatever. He din't mention anything about the proximity to the edge, but I sure that is a valid concern as well.

I called the Toyota dealer, and they didn't seem to think there was any need to insist on Toyota manufactured glass, so I hope they are correct. If Toyota is the only source, then I guess I am OK.

Most of the glass companies around here help you pay your deductable (Don't ask me how this is ethical, but they do it). So I have an appointment to have the winshield replaced at 2PM for $75 out of pocket with lifetime leak guarentee and lifetime rock chip repairs, if they are repaiible.

They did mention that with such an expensive peice of glass, they preferred I bring the car in rather than them providing their mobile service (Toyota glass? You think?). The shop happens to be 0.44 miles from work, so I am happy to have them do it in their shop.

I will ask about Toyota being the only source and full non-insurance price and report back. for what its worth, knowing that asking 100 glass shops would produce 100 variations in the answers.

14. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked up the car with new windshield. The guy said that Toyota has recently licensed another manufacturer to produce the windshields, but cost without insurance is still up at around $600.

15. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    a window repair wont be totally invisible, but it will prevent future damage (the crack spreading out
    like a spider web)

16. Enoyls

Enoyls New Member

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

For future reference, I've yet to own a car (6 or 7) that didn't take a rock to the windshield and every time I've just had it repaired. Only on 1 of them could I ever find the repair point once I had forgotten exactly where it was.

Plus, like JimboK said, the repair is usually fully covered where as the replacement kicks in a deductible for some. BUT, in my case, if the repair isn't good enough or fails then the replacement is fully covered. So it can't hurt to try a repair based on my past experiences. :)

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 22 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]447311[/snapback]</div>
    Allwest glass here in Edmonton. I watched them look it up. At the time I was getting the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder) windshield replaced and was worried that the less expensive unit wouldn't be as good as the original. The dealer quoted me $900 for that one too. Once Allwest installed the new windshield I noticed it was exactly the same one the vehicle came with, at 1/4 the dealer price. A Nissan Glass windshield.

Note that the windshield is part of the structure of modern vehicles. They wouldn't let me drive the anti-Prius until the glue set up (30 min). Said I could be killed if I got in an accident, due to the vehicle being much weaker without the glue set up.

18. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dissapointing update.

When I picked up Lightning with the new winshield, they had blue painters tape applied most of the way aroung the trim, and said "Don't remove this tape for 24 hours". I thought it was to hold the trim in place while the glue dries, but when I pealed it off today, I realized they are hoping customers will forget where they had the work done, due to the exposure the the glue fumes.

THe corners of the black molding are not lined up well at all, and it looks like they cut off one of the mitered corners so the upper right corner doesn't even come together at all. They also weave around instead of being straight.

I went in to look at new Prii after work to prove to myself that Toyota doesn't sell them with the windshield molding looking like crap. The three new cars I checked all had perfectly mitered corners matched up nicely.

Well, unfortunately for them, I kept my windows down and somehow was not brain dammaged by the fumes, so I remember where they are, and I will go back tomorrow and insist they put it back in pre-loss condition. Yes, I am expecting a fight. I will probably have to threaten to take it to show the insurance adjuster and jeperdize their approved shop rating. Oh, wait, the sloppy job could very well reinforce their preferred shop status. I guess I did get too many fumes.

19. BeVaR

BeVaR New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ May 23 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]448539[/snapback]</div>

This is correct. the windshield adds rigidity to the frt structure, and more importantly helps guide the passenger air bag. If the air bags deploy and the urethane is not set, it could blow the windshield out of the vehicle, exposing your face to whatever is out in front of you (flying debris), and not letting the SRS system protect you properly. Not an ideal situation

20. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I was expecting a hassle with the glass shop over the sloppy condition of the modling around the new winshield, but right away, they agreed with me it wasn't correct and they ordered the new seal today. Getting it installed tomorrow morning at 8:30, I thought it was just a decorative trim, but they say they have to take the windshield out again and start over, so I hape they put someone more experienced on it this time.

Update - I picked it up today, Friday, for the second time, and this time, they scratched the paint on the window piller. But the guy there refused to take any responsibility for it, telling me they were rock chips, and then he proceded to inspect my front bumper and told me there were 35 or more rock chips - big exageration.

He lied to my face and said he saw it there before they started, but I know that is not true, because it was very near where the window damage was, and I specifically inspected the window piller carefully to confirm there was no damage from the rock that cracked the glass.

He offered to have the body shop next door touch it up if I bought the touch up paint, so I said, why should I pay for the paint, and he said he wasn't admitting to doing it.

I thought I would get his attention by telling him that I would contact the insurance company about it, but he just bid me fairwell. So, now I will write a complaint letter.