1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you an environmental skeptic?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by F8L, Sep 30, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the main page for downloading or viewing synthesis reports"

Millennium Ecosystem Assessment synthesis reports

For those who don't spend time reading much, this is a 2-page summary of the Health Synthesis report. Ecosystems and their effect on Health.

This page is a main overview of the MA: What is is, what it found, etc.

Sample:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is nutrient loading?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 30 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]519522[/snapback]</div>
    An excess of nutrients entering systems (Rivers, Lakes, Streams, Bays, Oceans, Soils etc.). Examples include but are not limited to, nitrogen, phosphorus, CO2, and other organic materials, This often leads to an excess of algae growth and then decay. Bacteria can then deplete disolved oxygen and thus lead to reduced productivity or even dead zones like the famous Gulf of Mexico dead-zone at the mouth of the Mississippi. This reduction in oxygen is refered to as "hypoxia".

More info on drivers and nutrient loading:

GreenFacts.org

4. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 30 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]519522[/snapback]</div>
    Nutrient loading and increased sediment are the main factors leading to degradation of the Chesapeake Bay here. The main sources here are fertilizer runoff from farm fields, and effluent from chicken farms.

A good historical note: The main nutrients of in question are nitrogen and phosphorus. Much of the phosphorus in the Chesapeake used to come from laundry detergent. The story of the conflict over limiting phosphorus is kind of interesting, because it stopped with individual state bans, but no Federal action. At least I don't think there was ever Federal action.

http://www.colorado.edu/conflict/full_text...CDocs/94-54.htm

Even though the scientific evidence on detergent phosphates was in the public domain in the mid-1960s, the phosphate ban didn't go into effect around here until the mid-1980s. So when you wonder whether people really will degrade the environment just for the pleasure of driving a big SUV, recall that they cheerfully did just for the pleasure of whiter, brighter clothes. And yes, it took a law to stop it. And it largely worked -- phosphate going into the bay is down about 75% from pre-ban levels.

And it's still going on. The same process is now being played out over phosphate in dishwasher detergent.

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2007/06/07/...608ebeling.html

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm making my way through this. My comments so far are that the report does a great job of quantifying trends and corresponding healthy ecosystems with providing our required resources and that of a better qualify of life. I'm aware of the necessity of ecosystems for our life support, but never really thought of them in terms of allowing us "Freedom of Choice". I think that that's because I must also take these systems for granted at some level. That why I fear that those that have no knowledge of the necessity, function and dynamic of these systems will surely believe that we can thrive and adapt to any changes we impose on these systems. How many times have you heard this position as a reply to climate change? They can turn on their a/c unit and be just fine.

I think that in order to have the biggest impact on societal changes/perception of our ecosystems, they need to tie these trends and data in with the economic impacts caused by our degrading actions. Then they can also quantify the economic incentives for implementing more environmentally sound actions when initiating human development (especially of agricultural areas). For instance, the monetary costs resulting from the destruction of mangroves has to be easily quantified in terms of flooding, coastal erosion, loss of protein food sources, clean water etc. (*Edit - I see they've done this a degree.)

I'm happy to know of this report and that we now have some sort of a baseline to which we'll be able to compare future trends. Hopefully the future trends are not as bleak.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking to TTT this thread and I didn't see your original reply SSimon, sorry about that.

I agree with you, but then you already knew that. :D