1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you guys satisfied with Toyota products?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by theory816, Nov 22, 2023.

1. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Hey guys, I thought I'd vent here a bit to get your opinion.

I'm a long time user of both Lexus and Toyota products but a recent event has led me to reshape my perception on Toyota products. Long story short, I had a slight accident with the Toyota. Upon inspection, I noticed that the metal parts that makes up the car were easily bent. Don't get me wrong, I understand that energy absorption are designed into modern cars but then this would lead you to a proposition: do you use stronger and more expensive parts or use inexpensive but easily damaged parts in the event of a collision? If both the expensive and non expensive part will bend regardless, with one to a higher degree, which one do you go with if both requires replacement?

Now I'm not looking for an answer to that question. My gripe is that Toyota "seems" to use very low quality parts while Lexus uses stronger components. And while that is obvious, it's not as obvious to a person who is looking to be frugal. I purposely chose the Toyota because it was meant to be an economical vehicle. But is it economical if the entire car falls apart either way if its exposed to a low energy crash? If that's the case, why not just spend more on a Lexus or luxury car? Rant over.

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every part is different... If you have a part of low quality that cost Toyota $1.50 for every car they put it in and a higher quality version of that same part cost them $1.70 and you add up that price difference after building millions of cars a year for years and years you're talking about millions of dollars in added costs that cut into their profits and shareholders don't like that...

But that doesn't have much to do with energy absorption in case of an accident. The less the car bends and crumples when you hit something, the less likely you survive the accident.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A Prius is made lightweight for mpg. A Lexus hybrid is not; more sound deadening and power accessories. The Toyota parts are just as safe in a collision. They are much easier to get at a salvage yard. Insurance takes care of the car if you have it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk if there are any websites that evaluate repair costs. cars are expensive to fix these days, and sometimes, you're just lucky if the parts don't take months to procure.
    if you have insurance, it probably doesn't matter, but you're out of pocket, you have to weigh your odds of an accident.
    otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had Toyotas from 1991 through my last year with them, 2019. That includes Prius between 2005-2019. I found them good, economical rides until getting serious EV:
    • 2014 BMW i3-REx and 2017 BMW i3-REx
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus
    As products, Toyotas are better than other ICE vehicles. Compared to my EVs, 3x the cost per mile.

Bob Wilson

Doug McC likes this.
  6. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    After my experience with this accident, I don't think people should take a frugal approach to car ownership.

Lets take a Lexus IS Hybrid and a Prius. How much more mpgs are you saving? Maybe 5-10 max? Is that really worth it? Lets even make it a 20mpg difference - from a 20mpg gas car to 40mpg super economical car. Lets lay out what you are giving up:

1. A quieter ride because the metals are thicker and stronger. Noise and vibrations will cause fatigue.
    2. A less safe ride because there's more safety features and the metals are thicker and stronger.
    3. A more reliable ride because things are stronger and the materials last longer in the expensive car
    4. Major styling differences.

If you consider that, you are giving up a lot of things for 10 to 20 mpgs. Personally I think its better to work and make that few extra dollars to pay for that extra gas expense instead of taking a defensive and economical approach when it comes to driving.

#6 theory816, Nov 24, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    earlier on, people bought prius for environmental reasons, (i'm generalizing of course, but you had to be a member here early on to realize it) so giving up luxuries, styling and etc. was worth it to them, to pollute as little as possible.
    over time, that focus has changed to cost savings, an attempt to reduce household transportation costs over environmental concerns.
    this has led to many complaints from members with older prius who have had to pour money into them (especially if they don't diy) and outrage about the cost of repairs compared toa regular gasser, leading to statements like, "i bought a prius to save money but now it has cost me more than i have saved in fuel".
    so it's really up to you to decide what is a better fit, we all have different priorities.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There are many examples in life where the acceptance of risk is cheaper than protection from consequences.

theory816 likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Their shop manuals (Repair Manual in Toyota parlance) are the pits.

One of our grandsons has acquired a 92 Civic; I found a pdf of the Shop Manual. One of the opening chapters displays the maintenance schedule, and besides each item the page(s) describing that maintenance is listed. Turn to that page, there's a title that matches the maintenance item, and step-by-step instruction for mechanics.

Toyota could take a cue...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    here's something i just discovered with my bolt. you can buy a new gm fob for $45., and program it in the car for free. pretty amazing. the only thing it doesn't have is touch sensitive door handles, there's a button like gen2.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are also giving up around $10k up front. Most of us have never felt the bite of a wreck. I can assure you fixing a Lexus costs more.

I don’t think so. Most bought it for the same reason I have, for mpg and reliability. Prior Toyota purchases were for reliability. In 2008 I went from an 18 mpg Toyota v8 to a 48 mpg Prius. We drove 30k miles a year so the savings on a $24k purchase was significant. I sold it with 100k miles and never had an issue with that car.

The 2012 v was purchased in late 2011 and looked like a winner as well. And it was for the first 150k; no problems. Then just about every issue, usually before Priuschat discussed them, as higher miles piled up. Toyota covered the brake booster and inverter but not the rings or hv battery. Still a net gain at 295,000 miles and counting. Never a fanboy, the next car left Toyota (with the v as a second commuter).

Diverted to a conventional 2017 Honda CRV for a period while gas was $2. Decent 35 mpg but used a 1.5L turbo to get there. Oil dilution and turbo reliability worries caused an early jettison around 80k.

Now a gen 4.5 Rav4 which gets the mpg of the v but surpasses the Prii and CRV in every regard. Again mpg, reliability and now safety systems are the priority. It has an exceptional 2.5L dual injected engine, dual vvt and a awd hybrid system. Still in the honeymoon phase but it is clearly a winner.

I just go for safety, mpg and reliability these days. Along with full coverage to handle suicidal 350 pound wild hogs, herds of deer and dazed and confused Ram truck drivers.

#11 rjparker, Nov 24, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    John321 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we can agree to disagree

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you guys satisfied with Toyota products?

I used to be....30 years ago.
    I got fanged by their dealership network and never looked back.
    I have 200k in Priuses (company cars) and they're excellent cars, and I tried valiantly to buy one but either their sales force let them down or their products were priced above their quality delta - and this is with the understanding that ALL OF MY MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR would be DIY or with an Independent.

Yotas are like Hondas, Subies, etc....
    If you don't mind paying top dollar, and you're only going to be keeping the car for a few years, they're a solid buy.

I simply prefer to fund MY retirement account...NOT somebody else's.

14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You summed up succinctly the feelings of a large portion of new car buyers including me there.