1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you kidding me? *#@*%*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wesayso, Oct 27, 2011.

1. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well. today I blew a tire on the interstate. My car has 7K miles and I cannot find a replacement anywhere - it's on national backorder! A brand new car and I can't get an original equipment tire. Really Toyota?!
    I've got Bridgestone Ecopia 195 65R15 EP20's on it. I can find EP422's, but no EP20's. I'm told I can't run the EP422 because it has a different tread, unless I get at least two. Son of a B!THCH!

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet you were like, "Why can't I get an original equipment tire?!?"

And they were like, "Because....WESAYSO."

3 people like this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't feel bad, my neighbor has a Honda Accord and needs a new tire. It's something like an 06'. He has to wait almost a week for the place to get his tire too (Costco!)... being it's an accord and we're in the city it should be a common tire and they should have it. Maybe something is up with tire supply right now?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get it, what does tyre supply have to do with Toyota? Are you implying they're using a hard-to-find model? Toyota uses 3 different tyres on the 15" rims - Bridgestone Ecopia, Yokohama Avid and Goodyear Assurance FuelMax.

5. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I figure if a manufacturer chooses a tire for use on a car, they would try to get a guarantee that the tire will be available for awhile. Road hazards exist, folks are going to ruin tires. Is it too much to ask that a dealer have some for replacements? Just saying.

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get your dealer to take back the blown tire and the tire on the same axle with it and grab a pair of Fuel Max tires if they have them.

Assuming the tire that blew is on the rear just put the Fuel max pair on the rear and call it good.

If the tire was on the front get them to put the Fuel Max pair on the back and rotate one of the two used tires to the front.

Don't worry about having mixed pairs, it's better than having 3 of one and 1 of the other.

If they still balk at that demand 4 Fuel Max tires and give them back the 4 used tires. I don't know what their policy is but be polite and ask them to make the situation right. Best case scenario they do it free under warranty, worst case they charge you prorate on one tire. I wouldn't consider it fair to have to pay much to deal with this issue.

And make sure you check your tire pressure after they are done. Air them up to no less than 38 front and 36 rear. Low pressure can cause a blowout but it'll definitely give you uneven tire wear. The sticker PSI on the Prius is too low for even tire wear.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Car manufacturers have 3 criteria for tire selection: Black, round & cheap. Two of these are negotiable. Do you want Toyota to ship one to you from Japan? Is it their fault the dealer can't sell you an overpriced tire? Maybe the dealer doesn't stock "Prius sized" tires because too many owners look for different (better) tires elsewhere.

If you don't have many local retailers then finding any replacement part is going to be a problem. If the local tire shops & dealers don't have what you want then you're left with buying online from a place like tirerack.com. Best wishes finding what you want fast.

Yes, I'd be irritated too.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tire warranty is separate from the Toyota warranty. The info should be on a separate pamphlet in your glove box.

9. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. tjeeper

tjeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife destroyed a tire last week, apparently she didn't see the TPMS symbol on the dash. :rolleyes: The closest GY Assurance FuelMax was in Texas. Took the tire place 5 days to get it. I wouldn't blame Toyota for the tire manufacturer's problems with supply.

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a chime when the TPMS illuminates wouldn't be such a bad thing.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    O h I see what you mean now. You went to the dealer and they didn't have stock. Did you try 3rd party places like Costco or Tire Rack? or even local tyre shops?

13. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same tires on my 2011, had a flat in Ventura California, called every tire store in town, no luck, called one dealer, no luck then I spotted a 2nd dealer as I was heading back home, dropped in and ask at the parts counter, they said they might have one, they went in the back came out 20 minutes later (it seemed that long) with the tire, the only one they had, I paid full price, but I was lucky to get it.
    I agree that dealers should have a small supply of all orig equipment tires for the cars they sell, it makes no sense that they don't. You'll probably consider a brand other than Toyota next time and I don't blame you!

14. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checked all the national suppliers online - all said the same, tire is backordered, don't know for how long.

15. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll still buy Toyota - but maybe I'll insist on 1 or 2 extra tires as part of my negotiations. :D

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If it is back ordered all over you should have said in the first post "really bridgestone?!", not "really toyota?!"...

EVO 4G ?.

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was going to Sam's Club this morning for a tire rotation and balance and after reading this thread I checked the 195/65R15 tires in stock. They had a rack full of Michelin X-Radials, one set of Pilot Exalta's and two Primacy MXV4's. There was one set of Bridgestone Touring T/A's.

I have had to order the last two sets of Michelin Primacy MXV4's for my wife's car and mine to be sure they would have them. There definitely seems to be some type of shortage in LRR tires.

18. Comrad_Durandal

Comrad_Durandal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it had a chime every time the light illuminated, I'd have to kill it with fire. My TPMS has -never- worked properly. Ever. Every time I bring it in, the dealer can't find the problem with it - and then I get to spend thirty minutes hunting down the car in the lot since they park it in Outer Mongolia (long story - 'they don't like me' is the short summary).

19. seb33

seb33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My TPMS was illuminated today....last night there was frost in my area. My sensor doesn't work properly either,...last year at this time when it came on one day, I took my car in to Toyota only to have it rear-ended on the way and when I arrived they said, 'the tires are fine, we have turned off the light...'
    Now I know that the rear-ending had nothing to do with them but now what do I do that the light is on today...I guess I need to buy a tire pressure gauge to check the tires myself...I called Toyota Canada today and they were so nice, they said they rely on feedback from customers in order to decide whether to launch a campaign to correct an issue...they were very understanding and sympathetic with my concerns (I also have concerns over difficulty with visibility with side view mirrors in fog, or rain...mine bead up really excessively, and I have issues with the dealer recommending a regular cleaning treatment for the A/C condensing unit to prevent/remove mold)
    I have no doubt that Toyota Canada would provide a very acceptable solution to the main posters problem so I encourage everyone to call either Toyota USA or Toyota Canada if they feel that they are not getting good service or acceptable resolution to their problems...it helps Toyota to provide better service because Toyota Canada etc then provide recommendations to the dealers based on that information

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sucks....

But if it makes you feel any better?

Honda equipped my Honda Fit with an OEM tire that is an odd size, thus it has only two possible OEM sized replacements. The original OEM (which IMO is marginal quality) and one other more expensive choice....

I hope odd specific sized tire's don't become a trend. I'd expect the replacement market to adjust.

But being stuck with a vehicle with a tire down, and discovering your options are severely limited is NOT fun.