1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you not supposed to plug in or pull out the key fob while the car is running?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gergor, May 31, 2008.

1. Gergor

Gergor New Member

Does it do any damage to the car? Today someone pulled my key off and plug it back in while the car was running, almost gave me a heart attack while he did it, but it didn't seem to do anything to the car...

2. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    why would it damage the car? on some cars you can remove the mechanical key while running.

you dont need to plug it in at all if you have the smart key - just keep it in your pocket.

if its the non-smart key fob, it won't hurt a thing to pull it out like that

3. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    no SKS here. When the key is in and the car is on the key feels like it's locked in there somehow. I'm sure if I yanked on it hard enough it would come out, but that could end up being an expensive lesson...or it could be harmless. I'm not that curious to find out.

4. Gergor

Gergor New Member

I am new to hybrid car system, so I don't know.

I am thinking for a regular car, if you turn your car key which start the starter while the car is running is bad. So I am wondering if something similiar to that would happen for Prius.

5. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have SKS and it likes to beep at me if I get out of the Prius with the car in 'Ready' mode. I doubt there are any problems pulling it out while it's on, but my son was playing with the fob in the slot and found out that it releases easier with the Prius off. If it acts like SKS you can pull the fob and drive the Prius until it's turned off. Then you better have a fob or you are stuck, a few SKS people have dropped off their wife and she had the fob. OOPS. I've tried to make my Prius mess up but haven't succeeded yet. Enjoy, Jerry

6. Gergor

Gergor New Member

So if you have SKS, and if the car was started without the key in the slot, it doesn't matter if you plug it in while the car is running?

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a locking mechanism in the keyslot. The keyfob is locked into the slot while the car is in Ready mode. The lock releases when you power off the car.

8. Gergor

Gergor New Member

The car has SKS, I started the car with the key out of the slot. Then the guy took the key and inserted it into the slot while the car was running. Would it do any damage?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope but I have no idea how he managed to take out the key cause once it's inside (and the car is running), it's locked into position until you shut off the car.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell your passengers not to dick with the car's controls while you're driving :_>

If you have SKS why wasn't the fob in your pocket or briefcase?

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No harm. I don't have SKS but modded my key-slot so I *can* pull
    the fob while the car's powered up. [a simple disconnect of
    one of the blue wires that goes to the retention solenoid.] The
    presence of the key is really just a one-shot check at power-up,
    after which the car doesn't care if it's there or not.
    _H*

12. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    All the fob really does is send a signal to the car. When the the engine immobilizer sees that signal it knows that it's OK to let the car start. Once the car is going you can actually stroll away with the key, it doesn't care. I don't see any real problem with bringing the fob in or out, plugging it in or out, or juggling it in the air if you want to.