1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are You Sure About Buying an Import, Man?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today, when you listen to members of my generation (who no longer seem to want to die before they get old), it's hard to believe that Boomers were also responsible for the counter-culture of the 1960s.

We believed in long hair, shorts skirts, free love, women's rights, racial equality, James Taylor and doing your own thing, man, all of which are still admirable goals.

But many of the people who supported The Movement nearly 40 years ago are considerably less likely to bend today, let alone move. Consider if you will the Boomers' love for cars from Europe and Japan and their distrust of anything from American companies.

To be fair, there was considerable reason to take up this position in the 1970s. Few of the cars coming out of Detroit's factories appealed to anyone under the age of 50, and they weren't very reliable and they tended to use a lot of gas when we couldn't afford to pay much.

Perhaps most importantly, our parents owned or coveted Buicks, Cadillacs, Chryslers, Lincolns, Mercurys, Plymouths and the like, so we couldn't possibly. We weren't our parents, after all, and buying a Japanese car was thought to be a polite way of establishing our own identity.

We were so shallow at the time that it never occurred to us that buying a Honda or a Toyota -- or a BWM or a VW, come to that -- was a slap in our parents' faces. We conveniently chose not to remember that the Japanese and the Germans had only recently been trying to kill our parents, their families and friends, and indeed our very way of life. World War II might have seemed like ancient history to us, but for our parents it was -- and still is -- their defining moment. So our disloyalty must have hurt them all a great deal, and I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for Jewish parents to see their children buy a Beetle or a 3-Series.

Full Article

I don't know what to say. Let the discussion begin.

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Capitalism is the American way. "Otherwise, you have let the terrorists win", or are submitting to dogma, fascism, etc etc.

Isn't politics fun? :flame:

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can also point fingers at many North American companies - Ford, GM, GE, Rockwell, Boeing, etc - for doing many of the nasty things that the Asian and German companies have done.

That said, I had my brush with "high quality" North American engineering when I special ordered my 2000 GMC Sierra SLT. Never again, that unreliable crapwagon completely turned me off domestic brands.

The irony is that Toyota and Honda can produce cars in North America that are also reliable. We've had a couple of trolls here who commented on the UAW being at fault. Yet the UAW produces those Toyota's and Honda's as well.

What really turned me off was the $2 billion DOE taxpayer dollars generously donated to the Big Three to produce a car just like the Prius. The Big Three claimed it was impossible, too expensive, and the consumer wouldn't want one anyway.

Less than 2 years after that prophetic announcement along came the Insight and the Prius.

What possible offerings are there from the Big Three if you want a decent economical car? The Korean made Chevy Aveo?? The Dodge Neon? The Ford Focus is average, not a Honda Civic to be sure, but minimally ok.

Please ... they blew it, and they have themselves to blame for it.

4. wstander

wstander New Member

If you really read the quoted article, you would realize IT had nothing to do with whether this car or that is safe or well-built, but the notion of whether the countries/corporations promote women and/or treat them well...

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow...

I don't even know where to begin with that article. It's so full of garbage that I figure the authors must've been paid-off by American car companies...

"Maybe it's time you lay down your prejudices against vehicles from the U.S. and reconsidered your dependence on Japanese and German products. You might save yourself a bunch of money on a more interesting car (I mean, is anything more boring than your average Toyota?)"

Wow... I havn't seen a single US car that I'd want to own in years - either the reliability is poor, or the interior styling is plasticy and unappealing.

Consumer reports has a list of best and worst cars in terms of reliability:

http://cdn.consumerreports.org/static/0110use0.html

Notice any trends on cars from which countries are highest and lowest..?

Dave

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Ford and GM have the biggest chance. How? Import those damn cars from Europe. Stop watering them down to suit "American" tastes. Judging by sales, it's obvious that their definition of "American" isn't what consumers think they want in an American car. Where's the Euro Focus, Vauxhall Vectra (the new one, not the one from 2001), the Holden Monaro (not the GTO 5.7). Give us the real deal.

I don't get it. Why can Toyota make solid, reliable Corollas from say, their NUMMI plant but someone like Mercedes for example can't make a decent M-Class from their Alabama plant?