1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are you the first to get the official $4500 CARS incentive $$$?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sphyrna, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    UPDATE: PLEASE look at Post #99 and vote for who you think is the true FIRST CARS RECIPIENT!

I know I'd love to be! But if you already went through the deal and took delivery of your new Prius, and can show proof that you received the incentive money-- well first of all, CONGRATS! :rockon: And second, post it here! You'll have the admiration and respect of all of us, your forum buddies! Remember to take a picture of the car for us too!

And if you're not the first, I'm sure we'd all still love to hear about it. What did you trade in? What did you get? How much incentive $$ was in it for you? Do you think you're better off all around with your new car:dance: or having kept your old one:ballchain:?

Looking forward to hear from you.
    Sphyrna

2. NCKevin

NCKevin New Member

Model:
    III
    I don't think there is any way or need to "show proof." My proof will be my word and my new Prius in the driveway in about a week. :)

Trading in '98 Honda Passport with 130k miles on it and a very stinky exhaust...getting the full $4500 voucher.

Buying a Prius III w NAV and leather seats upgrade at sticker price

No additional refunds or money off.

Um...yeah, I think I'm better with my old Passport. That's why I just spent $25,000 on a new car. :) Sarcasm off.

3. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BIG talk! The challenge is on! Anybody else out there or are we going to let NCKevin rub our noses in it when he gets his CARS car first?

I've talked to a lot of dealers on the phone, and even in person who told me they were doing the deal thru CARS right NOW, (as of July 1st). So far as I can tell, none of these has really gone through. Am I mistaken?

4. NCKevin

NCKevin New Member

Model:
    III
    I'll be happy to win the competition...especially against a Floridian...my least favorite state. (Can you be more flat, tacky & boring, Florida?) :)

I'll let you know when I get mine.

5. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hoping to be the first. I'm getting a Winter Gray/Misty III with sunroof. Cubing a '95 4Runner. Wow, many great adventures in Baja with that car. And no my Prius will never get south of the border.

6. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sure some dealer has already done this. But 99.99% of them will not deliver a car until we are absolutely sure we know everything about the program. And that won't happen until July 24th.

7. helenhih2o

helenhih2o Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in the running.....

will let you all know

8. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's more like it! A big field of competitors lining up! As for Florida, yes the state may be flat and our roads relatively straight and boringly well maintained, not to mention there are plenty of distracting blondes in convertibles driving topless (car top fellas :D), yeah you're right it's horrible! I have been up to your state for a week of thrills and chills motorcycling and thoroughly enjoyed it, but no thanks I wouldn't trade!

I think we can prove it by showing the line on the purchase order that has the 4500 smackers. My dealer calls it 'Cash' and not 'Trade-in' so I guess in part it will still be your word. We CAN take you all on your word, right?

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My car is being prepped on the 23rd and I'm taking delivery the 24th or 25th... someone will probably beat me to being the "1st", but not by much. And no one will do it before the 24th - I was told in no uncertain terms by a NHTSA rep that deals closed before the 24th will NOT count and will not get the $4500 - no retroactive subsidies before the program launch and the program doesn't officially launch until the 24th. Things are subject to change up to the 24th, presumably including the no retroactive bit, but that's what I was told, fwiw.

10. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hmm bill says that deals after the 1st are eligible, but I guess it doesn't mean that they will honor it.

G

11. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have appt. for Fri. 24th am opening to take delivery of my model IV w/ solar roof pkg. on CARS prgrm. Trading in 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 (glad I chose the 2.9L v-6 and 4x4 cause it just comes in at 18mpg!) Paid less than 10 g's brand new in late '92 (toward end of model year) has auto nothing, not even A/C, man. trannny, only wanted the long bed, bigger engine and 4x4 at the time. Govt. giving me $4500 for it now! Bout time they came through for me! Already have put down deposit on it so they have it on lot as sold but we aren't closing till Fri. am. Unfortunately, living in AZ (on Pacific Time now), I'm sure I'll be beat by a East coaster. Oh well! Still looking forward to first new vehicle in 17 yrs.!

12. NCKevin

NCKevin New Member

Model:
    III
    Simply not true, Rachaelseven. I'll prove it in about a week...ahead of the 24th, hopefully. The law states it CAN be done, but it is at the risk of the dealer to do it early. Mine has all the paperwork ready to sign and said they are doing deals early. Just from what I've seen at different dealers, there are varying degrees of knowledge they have, which means there are varying degrees of EFFORT being put in to learn this stuff. At a couple dealers, I was telling them about it.

So...the ones being more aggressive and finding out more information, probably feel more comfortable that they'll get their $4500. It may also be determined by the tradein. Thinking worse case, they'd get my 98 Passport. Maybe they think they could still make a profit with it and the sale of a sticker price Prius III EVEN IF it fell through and they couldn't get the voucher.

But please, don't say things like "nobody is doing it." They are.

1 person likes this.
  13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would be picking mine silver III with NAv on 7/23, but I'll be on vacation, so they are holding it for my until 7/27, the first day they are open once I get back from the beach.

Trading in my 99 Deville, RIP, with 145k miles, a hole the size of Texas in the muffler, and a traction control that is trigger happy.

14. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately I didn't buy a gas guzzling SUV so I don't qualify.

15. chiguy

chiguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in the process of getting this done. Probably won't be 1st but I'll be happy nontheless:D Looking to trade in a 94 Dodge Caravan.

16. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was only repeating what I was told by NHTSA - my apologies if the information proves incorrect. And congrats on your new baby :)

17. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are plenty of vehicles out there that aren't gg suv's that qualify under this program! Frankly, I admit I got very lucky with my vehicle coming in at just 18 mpg. Remember that this program was originally intended to stimulate the auto industry primarily rather than be super enviro-friendly. Fact is I could trade my truck for another truck that only gets 2 mpg better and still get $3500 on the program. Not a great deal for the environment but sure is good for the local Chevy dealer! Will be interesting to see in our small rural community where trucks are more common than cars, how many people use the program simply to get a new truck. I remember a certain alt-fuels fiasco a couple of years back that cost our state a fortune due to loopholes in the poorly written law!

18. sfs

sfs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2010 III on Saturday July 11 from Beaverton Toyota in Beaverton, Oregon. They gave me $4500 off when I traded my 1989 GMC diesel 4X4 in the "Cash for Clunkers" program. I was the third person in the last two days to use that Federal incentive at that dealership.

19. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW! We have a winner! (take THAT NCKevin! :D JK!)

Can you send us a picture? Did you pay MSRP or less? Was there a dealer fee? Any scrap value given back to you for the trade-in? Give us anxious PC members all the juicy details!

I'm surprised they have done several and so early in the program, I hope this encourages other dealers to do the same, hint hint Royal Palm Toyota in FL!:p

Thanks and congrats on your new Prius!

20. sfs

sfs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought through Costco Buyers Program which is $225 off MSRP for 2010 Prius. No dealer fees out side of title/registration. Truck was not considered a trade in because through the CfC Program the dealer has to have the vehicle crushed. I'll have to read up on how to post a photo, but happy to do so.

1 person likes this.