1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

are your 06 steering wheel controls dim?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bagwell, May 31, 2006.

1. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    my 06 steering wheel controls are pretty dim and not adjustable....everybody else's the same?

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Yup! There have been technical discussions on ways to increase the brightness, but no one has developed a documented procedure for accomplishing the task.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, they are dim, and not adjustable.

In a similar note, I was surprised that the MFD side buttons were not backlit. My wife and I had quite a conversation about how Toyota would miss something that simple when they did such a good job with the rest of the lighting. We could run them okay, but only by remembering which was where.

Now here is the weird part: driving home after dark this week, we noticed the MFD side buttons were indeed backlit. I know they weren't before. I think someone is gaslighting me. :eek: We must have had some setting in the wrong mode. Maybe the MFD was in day mode, or the light dimmer was all the way down. I don't know. It's not important, but it does make you think you are loosing your mind when something like that happens.

Tom

4. Kross

Kross New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 31 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]263481[/snapback]</div>

Hahaha, when I was reading your post (first paragraph) I was beginning to think I was losing MY mind because I could've sworn my MFD side buttons were backlit!

5. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

Noway... Their really backlite??? Could have fooled me :lol:

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bagwell @ May 31 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]263388[/snapback]</div>
    You only notice that now because you are actually looking at the steering wheel controls. Give it a month or so and you won't need to look at them anymore; you'll find them by feel and location. Then it won't matter if they are back lit or not.

7. yumika85

yumika85 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 1 2006, 04:33 AM) [snapback]263545[/snapback]</div>
    The steering wheel controls are not well designed to say it politely. Even after a year and a half I cannot find all of them blindly. There are too many controls on the wheel. Toyota should redesign with input from long time users.

8. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

my mfd buttons are backlit, and my steering wheel controls dont seem to be dim at all.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

The steering wheel controls are one of my few (minor) complaints- they really are too dim. I have only had my car four months, but so far I would not say that the button locations are intuitive. Perhaps in time I'll memorize their locations. But in the meantime it would be nice to see them!
    MFD buttons are backlit- perhaps not while in day mode, though.

10. dbaro

dbaro New Member

I can't see the any of the display indicators in front the steering wheel such as speed etc. on a high sun day with sun glasses on. I have to remove my glasses to get a read. Not very practical

11. jda

jda New Member

Yep, just got my car yesterday and first thing I noticed last night was dim steering wheel buttons. I found the dash light dimmer and then spent a while looking for the extra dimmer which controls the steering wheel. Surely there's another dimmer right? You'd think so, but no. Oh well. Great car nonetheless. Cheers!

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, they're dim but it's better than those on my Z and former 02 Maxima. On those cars (and Altimas of the same era), they're not lit at all.