1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Are your political beliefs different from your parents'?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

It seems to me that political beliefs - whether you are a neocon or liberal or social democrat are very much like a religious belief system, and one which is very often learned from parents, as is religion. Liberals and neocons have entirely different models of how the world works. No wonder they can't seem to understand one another.

Are your political beliefs the same as your parents, or did you reject those of your parents and arrive at your own set of beliefs? In my case, my parents were liberal (or social democratic), and so am I.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [​IMG]

there couldn't be two more different people on the face of this earth than my mother and myself!! she's pretty strongly conservative.

to her dismay, i'm pretty much smack in the middle, and depending on the issue i'll lean either left or right.

my dad is more uh, laid back, and his beliefs are closer to my own... which is funny since i didn't know him growing up.

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 19 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]335097[/snapback]</div>
    No and yes.

(I think you should have added religiosity to your question. Again mty answer would have been yes)

jared2: have you finished the Dawkins book yet?

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Oct 19 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]335118[/snapback]</div>

Not yet! I think I will take a break from PC soon and read it. Not that PC isn't intelligent and stimulating :)

As for the question, I am also wondering how husbands and wives can live together if they have strongly divergent political views. As I said, your political philosophy pretty much shapes your model of how the world works, so I don't see how you could live with a partner with very different views.

5. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My beliefs and my parents' beliefs are very similar (liberal). So are my wife's beliefs. Her parents' beliefs are slightly different (conservative on some issues, slightly liberal on others, very liberal on a few).

I arrived at my own set of political views based on my own life's experiences. I think my wife was the same way. Our parents definitely shaped our personalities and morals, but not necessarily our political beliefs.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You know, that's an interesting question for me.
    When I was growing up, figuring out what each party stood for at its core was very difficult. My home town is mostly Democratic. That is, these are Democrats who will fight for "right to life" which is scary because they also anxiously defend their 2nd amendment. They don't mind high taxes as long as they go towards helping the less fortunate and boosting social programs. Being deeply religious, they vote for the Democrats who attend church regularly and know in their hearts that same-sex coupling is morally wrong.

When asked about their political affiliation, they will make it clear that they's Democrats 'cause they's daddies was Democrats.

Then again, perhaps that's why I refuse to be pinned to a specific party. Shoot, growing up that confused might have actually set me straight.

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My political views are the opposite of my parents. I really have no clue how anybody can believe something just because they were brought up that way, unless they never really examined those beliefs.

One reason my views turned out so different is I asked my parents why they were what they were and they had no answer really other than what amounted to being comfortable with the views of their parents.

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My beliefs and my parents are opposite. My folks were conservative Republicans and I am what they refer to here in MN as a Wellstone Liberal.

But to be fair, I can't say what their beliefs would be today (mom died in 1987 and dad in 1989), they were what many would refer to as traditional Republicans. They both condemed the McCarthy-ism era and felt the GOP put up with the John Birch society far too long. Dad was also getting very disilusioned with the GOP during the Reagan administration, he felt that they were getting away fron the Republican principals, primarly fiscal conservatism, I can't imagine what he would say today with the neo-con influence (but most likely it couldn't be printed here :D ). The main thing dad taught us regarding politics was the importance of forming our opinions based upon our own independant study of the issues and not basing them on what someone told us. In that regard there were never any hard feelings due to differences in beliefs, rather we had many really good discussions on political matters and allways came away with a great deal of mutual respect for each other.

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

I love the advertisment that appears at the bottom of this thread for the book (Why Mommy is a Democrat)

Marketing is getting so efficient, its scary!

As to expanding this question to religious beliefs, I have just started the Dawkins book. Here is a relevant quotation:

"If you were born in Arkansas and you think Christianity is true and Islam false, knowing full well that you would think the opposite if you had been born in Afghanistan, then you are the victim of childhood indoctrination." (My emphasis)

I don't think religious indoctrination is the same as political indoctrination because both conservatism and liberalism can be defended on a logical basis - religion, however, is self-evidently irrational because of its exclusivity. If a hundred religions all claim to be the one true religion, then it is a logical necessity for at least 99 of them to be false.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

My mother was apolitial and areligious, my father apolitical and atheist. My grandparents were small business, 'traditional republican' types -- mostly anti-tax more than anything else, although Fed repubs have been consistently pro-Israel more than dems, and that mattered a lot to them.

The two party system just does not offer me an easy choice. I tend to vote without regard to party affiliation locally based on my priorites of environment, fiscal responsibility, and education, so long as it does not lend support to the national repub movement, which I despise based on its platform of corporatism, guns, imperialistic fascism, anti-abortion, anti-homosexuality, and fiscal irresponsibility.

So I am not pro dem, but am most certainly ANTI-repub.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I'm a staunch Republican. Both of my parents are Democrat (although my mother doesn't count, as she's still a Norwegian citizen). My wife is an extreme liberal Democrat (with a few seriously Republican undertones...).

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 19 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]335198[/snapback]</div>
    A staunch republican and an extreme liberal. I would love to hear your discussions at the dinner table. I would probably be able to hear them from a considerable distance.

13. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

My mother was the one parent who raised me. My father was almost never around, though a series of father figures were. She's a liberal in most ways, but centrist in others. She and I used to talk philosophy and politics alot when I was younger (I was a strange kid). It was a great bonding experience for us, but also helped me on my way to becoming a critical thinker (and, I suppose, allowed me to develop a belief system separate from hers).

I'm an odd duck, in that I can't be pinned to a Left or Right philosophy, so I call myself middle of the road for lack of a better term. I'm disgusted with both major parties in America, and what I've learned of the other parties hasn't impressed me much. So, I'm a man without a party. :(

I have a friend who's mother votes Republican only because she was raised Republican. I don't understand that. How dim a bulb do you have to be to so cavalierly give your vote to one party "jest 'because daddy done it"?

Vince

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My father was a liberal capitalist, who believed that with government regulations to protect the poor and the little guy, capitalism was the best way to organize an economy. He always voted Democrat, but always as "the lesser of two evils," never out of support for what they stood for.

My mother was a Communist who left the Party out of disillusionment with the un-communist actions of the Soviet Union, as did many others. She has been an activist for social and racial justice all her life, and still is.

I received no religious indoctrination. My parents were atheists, but permitted my sister to attend church during the period that she decided she wanted to. They believed in allowing us to make up our own minds.

I differ most from my parents in being a pacifist, which they were not. I believe I was most influenced in this by Martin Luther King, Jr.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a Democrat. The only one in the family. Both of my parents, my brother and my sister are all Republicans. I thought my mother was a Democrat for years but recently learned she is registered Republican and has been since Eisenhower.

That is not to say my parents identify with the current Republican party. In fact they don't vote the straight ticket but consider each proposition, candidate and issue separately on it's own merits. (Well, except maybe my sister who is a sheep.)

There never was much political discussion in my family so we basically all found our own ways.

Now....my Father is a Catholic but hasn't taken communion since he was married in a Lutheran church to my Mother. We were all brought up Lutheran, but my sister (youngest) converted to Catholicism, is married to a not sure what and is raising her kids Catholic. My brother is still Lutheran but is married to a Catholic and the children are being raise Catholic.

So there you have it.

BTW my Dad is the first of his generation to get a bachelors degree. I was the first of my generation to get a university degree, followed by my brother. My sister only has an AA from Coleman College. My Mother only has a high school equivalent and some community college classes. My brother is an Air Force Academy graduate and has a masters in business administration. I have a BA, an MA and am working on a second masters in Library and Information Science.

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 19 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]335202[/snapback]</div>
    Actually we don't have political discussions. We are very accepting of each others views. She even accompanies me to political functions. We went to go meet Bill Frist a few months back, and I was jealous because he spoke to her more than me (they're both physicians)!

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I have a BA, an MA and am working on a second masters in Library and Information Science"

Congratulations Godiva! Let me know if I can help. I have a B.A., M.A. and M.L.I.S. (Master of Library and Information Science).

18. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 19 2006, 10:11 AM) [snapback]335123[/snapback]</div>
    Just ask the (Ragin Cajun) James Carville and Mary Matlin. I didn't think two more divergent political views could live together for so long.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Matalin

Wildkow

p.s. BTW I'm an independent and my Mom was strongly Democratic. On the other hand it's hard to tell what my Father was he never voiced an opinion, but he was military and served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam so I would say Republican.

19. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Oct 20 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]335605[/snapback]</div>
    "he was military and served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam so I would say Republican."

Not necesarily any more. Military people seem to be getting more fed up with the neocons than anyone else.

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 20 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]335621[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe because all you hear is the negative stuff from the MSM, while the real story is that re-enlistment rates are up.

Wildkow