1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Argh! My baby has a scratch!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ian MacDonald, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got my first scratch today in my 2005 Prius and I'm so bummed. I was driving through the 8 story parking garage at my office and took a turn too tight. I had heard another car racing towards me in the other direction on the other side of a blind corner and I guess I over-compensated. I really hate my garage as it barely has enough room for two cars to pass on the turns and folks are always driving way too fast.

Anyway here are a few photos of the damage:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The damage to the door is mostly just to the paint while the rear quarter panel has been pushed in about 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so immediately behind the door.

I'm currently in the process of getting some repair estimates but I was quite shocked at the first one I received which was for $2000 and would take 4 days to complete. Does this estimate seem reasonable for this amount of damage? I'd hate to see the estimate if the whole side was scratched up. I was hoping to avoid using my insurance but if all of the estimates are this high I think I might have to.

Cheers,

-- Ian

2. NineToez

NineToez New Member

Ouch, that's more that just a scratch. That is in fact body damage, however the estimate does seem a bit on the high side. I'm not in auto body to make such estimates, but I can gauge based on my experience in my dealership. That entire rear quarter panel will not only need to be repaired but also need to be re-painted as well.

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

To each his own.... On one like that, I'd buff it down and out as best possible, kick myself in the @$$ about 4 times, then keep driving the car.

4. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I got one more repair estimate which was $1800-- pretty close to the first one. This time the owner went into lots of detail as to the costs of making the car look new again. Most of which relate to the labor of removing and replacing all of the components that are in the way of completing the paint job.

In my case the unfortunate damage to the rear quarter panel made all the difference as this panel wraps all the way around to the front fender, over the doors at the top and along the rocker panel at the bottom. This means removing the rear bumper, rear quarter window, roof moulding, front quarter window and both doors including the handle and trim on the damaged door.

It's this labor that makes repairs so expensive. I can see now how it easy it would be to have your insurance company total a vehicle for what appears to be simple cosmetic damage. I'll probably get it fixed in any case since, in my mind, this car is still too new to treat as a jalopy that you don't care about anymore; my Prius is not just another car to me yet.

Cheers all,

-- Ian