1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Argh!! The wife scratched my Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ttabbal, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

She was getting into our other car and the door edge scratched my beloved Prius! The result is two small scratches on my passenger side rear door. It appears to have only damaged the clearcoat as they are white looking and I can see the paint color under the damage. They are small but quite noticable scratches I want to clean up prior to my Ziano polish I was planning to get done soon. They are worse than the normal swirl marks and key scratches I'm familiar with.

Any hints on fixing this would be appreaciated. I've never had a car I wanted to keep nice so much so I just let the little things go before, but I want to get this fixed up as well as possible.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bring her flowers and chocolate and you might be forgiven for parking it where she could scratch it. :rolleyes:

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well... the first damage is over. that's the most traumatic one, i promise.

i don't know much about paint detailing... maybe PriusEnvy will stop by... he's the detail guru around here.

however, may i suggest getting those little rubberlike door edge liners (cheap at advance auto parts and the like) for your cars so that it won't happen again.

4. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Ain't that the truth!!!!

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot remember the name of the product but there is a scratch remover gel/wax that you just buff into a scratch and it disappears... I have used it before on my parents car and it really does work as advertised... small scrates on clearcoat will just disappear... huge gouges are another issue though...

6. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are going to use Zaino then try ZPC. It works great and will leave the surface ready for Z2. Do you have a PC? You may need one for a scratch like that.

7. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

PC? I don't recognize that acronym, unless you're talking about a computer. :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meguire's ScratchX?

9. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry, been chatting on the Detailing Forum too much. PC=Porter Cable Random Orbital Buffer. Using one of these and some ZPC gives great results. Con you feel the scratch or is it just on the surface?

10. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Mar 27 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]231058[/snapback]</div>

Ohhh.. okay. I've seen that buffer mentioned before. It's a small scratch that I can just barely feel if I'm really trying to feel it. I'll try ZPC by hand and save the buffer for a last resort, or just ask a detail shop to do it. Thanks for the info!