1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arizona Charlie's attachment?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Jan 27, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

I heard that someone that goes by Arizona Charlie sells an attachment to the front license plate holder that helps you see the front of your Prius (for easier parking). Has anyone used this? Any pics? How do I get one?

2. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Thinking about that yesterday. I want to be able to turn a camera view on my front bumper while parking like I see in reverse! Anyone set this up?

3. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still looking for Arizona Charlie :(

Anyone found him?

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know if he posts anymore.

A little over a year ago I got the parking guide. It's great.

I know ToothYoda made one with a hybrid lightbulb on the top. I don't know if he's around either.

Charlie's directions:

First I went to the local auto parts store [Pep Boys] and purchased a black painted universal replacement antenna for $7.00. The antenna has a threaded fitting at the bottom end which is designed to attach to the antenna fittings on a Ford, Chrysler, and many other cars.

Then I purchased a 6 millimeter by 1/2 screw to screw into the threaded fitting at the bottom of the antenna. The antenna which you buy may need a different metric screw size but this is an easy problem to solve. Finally I purchased a 1 and 1/2 by 1 and 1/2 angle bracket at the hardware store. This bracket has two holes on each of its arms.

I screwed the antenna into the hole furthest from the end of the bracket and used a lock washer to make certain it would not come loose. Next I used my grinder to cut off the un-used hole and rounded off the end of the bracket.

Next, I removed the license plate frame and license plate from the front of the car. Using the license plate frame as a guide I marked the spot on the un-used arm of the angle bracket and drilled a hole into the bracket so that the hole in the bracket lined up with the hole in the license plate frame. This is where the threaded screw which holds the license plate and frame would go through the antenna bracket and mount it to the car.

That done, I painted the bracket, screw and washer with black spray paint. The final step was to screw a yellow wire nut onto the top of the antenna to make it more visible. After the paint dried I mounted the antenna bracket on the license plate frame holder. Manufacturing time for this procedure was less than one half an hour. The cost for all of the parts to make the parking guide was under ten dollars.

Parking guide for under $10

Where does it end?

ToothYoda's got his Hybrid antenna topper on eBay. email him and he might have a parking guide.

ToothYoda's antenna topper

5. miwaku

miwaku New Member

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only problem with a parking mat is it only works in the garage.

I like my parking guide because it tells me where the front of my car is no matter where I am.

7. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Jan 27 2006, 01:24 AM) [snapback]198522[/snapback]</div>
    Using a bike flag fixture on the licence plate topped with a hot wheels mini car.[attachmentid=4378]

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's cute.

Did the bracket attaching it to the license plate come as part of it?

Have you considered painting it silver to match the car?

I'm surprised you little car hasn't "driven off".

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 6 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]298693[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the bracket comes with the bike flag attachment.... the car is painted with the Prius touch up stick and I've fastened the lil' car to the top with stainless wire. Have another 11 hot wheels to go tho' cause they only came in a pack of 12 at a dollar store. Total cost $4.75
    Gary

10. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Aug 6 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]298702[/snapback]</div>
    That's perfect - can you tell me where to get one (that bracket thing) ?

11. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Aug 6 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]298723[/snapback]</div>
    Found the bracket with an orange flag on it at a swap meet. Have seen a similar sort of thing fitted to street type medical scooters where folks have flags of all sorts for visibility purposes.
    Gary

12. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha! I just saw this while searching for Arizona owners.

This is EXACTLY what I did in August 2004 so my wife could see the front of her Prius. It was supposed to be a temporary "training aid" but is still on the car over 13 years later. She won't let me remove it!