1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Armrest + Console Switch Replacement

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rampante550, Jan 30, 2022.

1. rampante550

rampante550 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    New member here, but can't tell you how helpful this forum has been the past couple months while I looked at and then purchased my first Prius, a 2012 Prius v 5. I tend to buy older cars and like to budget for some updates to make it my own or refresh high-wear areas. Three of the ten or so items related to the center console.
    • Console switches were functional but were very sticky
    • Armrest was faded, worn, and one of the buttons was falling half off
    • I noticed a 2015 I test drove had a cupholder in the lower slide-out but my 2012 didn't
    1. For the console switch (84970-47020), I reference this video:
      • This guy does a great job on how to clean the switches, but I knew for me, I wanted to replace them (in the interest of time and not potentially causing harm)
      • If you too prefer to replace, you can skip the parts where he separates the silver piece from the black piece - it's possible and easy to remove the switch without removing any of the screws simply by spreading the cradle on both sides of one end and leveraging that end up, then repeating on the other to remove
      • To summarize - pop out the cupholder section, disconnect the wire, remove the console switch by applying leverage to release from the tabs, place in the new part, plug it in, pop the cupholder section back in (and you're done)
    2. For the Armrest, this was a little more difficult. I couldn't find any good videos (and there was one thread on repairing), but looking at my replacement part (58905-47101-G0), it was clear that there was a guide and two tabs to pinch to release plus two screws on both ends
      • With the cupholder section removed already, I then removed the back piece of the center console. You can use trim removal tools, which I have, but I was able to do it fairly easily with my fingers, working top to bottom, careful to undo one set at a time
      • In my pictures, you'll see the screws from both ends. The backs are really easy to get out, but I didn't have the right size screwdriver for the fronts and they took forever to remove (I bought a stubby after though to make securing it easy)
      • Once the screws are removed, pinch the two tabs that surround the longer one in the middle and each end removes easily
      • Drop the new one in, screw both ends, replace the rear trim piece, the cupholder section, and you're all set!
    3. For the cupholder in the lower slide-out, it appears it is called a 'Storage Pocket' (58825-47030). Yeah, I know . . . lol. It shows as compatible for 12-14s, but I'll follow up here when it comes in to confirm if it's that simple (I couldn't find anything on this or other forums)
    Additional picture notes:
    • Switch in Bracket: See highlighted areas for the tabs that need to be released
    • Old New Console Switch: Mine was covered in coffee or soda (in fact a lot that I uncovered was, so cleaned while in there and it helped clear a faint smell)
    • Cupholder Section Apart: Cleaned everything, here, you can see you don't have to remove the silver piece to get the console switch out switch in bracket.jpg old new console switch.jpg cupholder section apart.jpg new old compare.jpg rear trim removed.jpg rear secure.jpg front screw .1.jpg front screw 1.jpg armrest removed.jpg all done.jpg