1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Armrests Made Out Of Granite?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by beantowncruiser, Aug 12, 2010.

1. beantowncruiser

beantowncruiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, they sure feel like they are!

I love my 2010 Prius, but for the life of me, I can't understand why Toyota couldn't put some padding in the door inserts and the armrests. Would it really have cost Toyota that much money to put a half-inch worth foam rubber padding under the cloth? The Prius is not exactly an economy car, and I can't imagine that a little padding would adversely affect the mpg's.

That said, it's an awsome car! I find the handling greatly improved over the previous generation, the gas mileage is awsome - I'm averaging 59.9 mpg with 3000+ miles. Overall I'm very pleased with my Prius, but I wish Toyota would realize that driver comfort is something that most people measure their vehicle by, and the devil is in the details!

2. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just purchased the Leather Z door armrests...$50.00 for the pair in Black Leather. I'm going to try them out in a few days...I will post photos. I wonder if the leather center console is softer than the fabric...Anyone know? If not then I will probably upholster myself as several others have done...found some nice high density rubber foam now just cut to fit...

3. Beauregard

Beauregard Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I sure hope they wear like granite. The fabric end of the center arm rest looks like it'll be the first place to show wear.

4. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They may feel like granite but they sure dont act like it. Dont lean on them too hard or else :eek:

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think that center console is leather. Feels like vinyl.

6. BBaggins

BBaggins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to a local upholstery shop and had them make a leather center console cover. Also I wanted it to be higher/thicker so they added three inches of foam. They removed the original cover and replaced it with the leather unit. Now, I can rest my right arm on the console and grip the steering wheel for a relaxed driving position.

The leather color matches very well and will be easier to clean than the stock fabric. The cost was $45.

1 person likes this.
  7. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Might that shop be interested in producing them in limited quantity? Either work with PC as a product in the PC Shop area, or offer them to us retail? I have a V with bisque - the low center armrest has always been irritating.
    Can you snap a few pictures of yours?

8. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fantastic mod! Yes, please share pics of your new/improved armrest.

9. beantowncruiser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After posting this thread I went to a local auto upholstry shop and am having made two front armrest pads and a padded cover for the center console in a gray vinyl that is very close to the charcoal color of the dash.
    I'm going to use heavy duty velcro to attach the pads. I'm really looking forward to not having a sore right elbow!

I will post photos as soon as they are done.

10. BBaggins

BBaggins New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Might that shop be interested in producing them in limited quantity?" I doubt this small mom and pop place would be interested in making more than one at a time. The mother is retired but does some of the sewing machine work on a "one off" basis. The two sons do windshield replacement/AC repair and other interior repair. This job took about a month after I removed the console cover and delivered it to him.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

A little padding would be nice, but IMO, the faux pas is the 2010 driver door armrest is too low, about an inch or so. Not a trivial fix one can find at the local auto parts store either.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Says installation is permanent. Really? Let us know. thx.

LeatherZ: Z3 Door Armrests

I might be more inclined to get a piece cut from a foam factory, sew on a cover and stick with double sided tape.

I already tried the 'hook' portion of velcro, and it does not stick to the fabric part of armrest.

1 person likes this.
  13. beantowncruiser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As soon as they are fabricated ( which will take aprox. two weeks allowing for the fabric to arrive ) and I see how well they come out, I will take pics and and ask if he would be interested in making more sets of the armrest/console covers. He's charging me $75.00 for the set, which I think is pretty reasonable. He might charge more if he has to ship them. I will ask.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,

door armrest in the 2010 about 3/4" lower than center armrest ..

in the Gen2, it's about 1/2"+ higher than center, depending on where measured.

wooops, little oversight there. Inch higher please.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spent a $1.50 and bought an experimental piece of stuff the foam factory tech called 'Crosslink' material pic'd below.

It's 1" thick and is very firm like neoprene, but cheaper. Light Gray material. Stuck it on with double-sided duct tape. Much better than low armrest. Would try for nice shape in my own car, not this rental.

** note - duct tape might harm leather **

050705 160.jpg

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I carefully pried the armrest pad off today. The double-sided duct tape had a firm grip on the fabric, but did not damage the fabric at all. Gotta return the rental tomorrow.

** note - duct tape might harm leather **

17. Barnardf

Barnardf Sail into the Mystic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The perfect fix is a computer keyboard wrist pad. Made of neoprene rubber, 3/4 to 1" thick, many pattens from which to choose, cuttable with scissors to fit, and available at a variety of office supply outlets...what more do you need? It not only pads the armrest, it raises the height to a more comfortable position. Give it a try. Been using one for five years in a vriety of vehicles. Sometimes simpler IS better.

1 person likes this.
  18. MrGuardia

MrGuardia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    im ok with mine

19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 suffers the very same problem. Took me a year to figure out why my arms hurt!

20. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

See my post in the Accessories forum...
    Leather Z looks really nice and i finally installed mine.

Attached Files: