1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arnold, Our Governator, drives hydrogen Hummer!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by TimeFor, Oct 24, 2004.

1. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

You are kidding right?

A hydrogen hummer that goes 50 miles per fill up?

The hydrogen that is going to be studied over the next few years and touted by the Bush administration is going to be manufactured from natural gas. If the USA uses all it's natural gas to make hydrogen, it's estimated that all of our natural gas will last about 8-12 years even if we were able to get all of it out of the ground, which we never could.

So hydrogen, at least from natrual gas, is just another dead end. It's another way for this administration to channel more of our tax dollars toward corporations.

The only NON dead-end is renewable energy sources. But there is no good way for our leaders to channel the taxpayers money to corporations, so we don't go there.

I don't dislike Arnold, but his promotion of this direction for our energy problems indicates to me that he is part of the problem.

Sadly, it's looking more and more that the answer to our energy problem resides oversees. And Toyota, with the Prius, is a good example.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sorry, but he should be embarrassed to be driving a Hummer at all. If he is really serious about a Hydrogen Highway, he would be showing a prototype that could go a real distance for most people. They could make a hydrogen A1A tank too, and it would be just as good a display of hydrogen capability.

I agree with Prius04, Arnold is part of the problem. Anyone who buys a Hummer just because they want it and are rich enough to buy and operate it, without concern for the overall impact, is part of the problem, not the solution. One could make an arguement for the H2 IF is were tops in its ability to carry, tow or whatever. Sadly it is sorely lacking in all respects except for saying "Look how much money I have".

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep he's a bush supporter all right.

5. DanH

DanH New Member

Only girly men drive gasoline hummers.

6. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

That's Right! Wooo. I love Arnold. I don't think he is part of the problem. He is doing a lot for California. And so if Arnold wants to drive a Hummer, Gas or Not... I don't have a problem with it. After all, He is the Man. How can you say no?

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i do feel that arnold will end up being a good idea for california overall.

as far as his energy policy, he has already done a lot. the changes for parking and HOV rules are something he could have easily stalled for years had he the inclination to do so.

he is not from a polical/legal background so will bring a different perspective to the table.

its too bad we cant do that on a national scale. we definitely need it.

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, I think I say this about, oh, every 3 weeks, but: I don't think it's a good idea to open up HOV lanes to single occupant hybrids.

My argument against doing this is in this thread.

9. Ryomatic

Ryomatic New Member

10. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Well, it is a pretty blue.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ryomatic,

i like your article better. at least the Prius gets a mention!!

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't read the article yet (I will), but I wanted to comment on the very first, opening line:

"Arnold Schwarzenegger introduced an environmentally friendly Hummer on Friday"

I think we have debated and established very clearly on this board that it currently requires the consumption of more fossil fuels to generate hydrogen than if you were to just burn gasoline. And with the consumption of more fossil fuels, you are releasing more fine particulants, more CO, more greenhouse gases and all that crap. The media has a tendancy to focus exclusively on the fact that the by-product of a hydrogen-powered auto is water and oxygen, but they NEVER mention the initial pollution of creating the hydrogen.

It just boils my butt when people steer the general opinions of the mostly ignorant American public by providing partial explinations and speaking in half-truths.

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Tony -- absolutely agree with your position and your facts.

However, did want to throw in an exception: I believe you can create hydrogen without burning up fossil fuels if (and only if) you have a plentiful supply of an alternative energy source available as a substitute.

About the only place I know of that falls into this exception is Iceland. They're planning to extract hydrogen using their extensive geothermal energy.

However, for anyone other than Iceland: what you said.

14. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The purpose of the HOV lanes is to get people to carpool with the overall result in reduced congestion and reduced emmissions. You can't just go rewarding people who drive in the cars alone. Emmissions or not, it just undermines the entire HOV lane concept.

We do not have HOV lanes here in Chicagoland. But I would love to see the Tri-State Tollway, the Edens, and the Ike with much fewer vehicles.

16. prius04

prius04 New Member

I agree with the concept that the reason for the HOV lanes in the first place is the decrease in congestion and improved efficiency of transportation.

But I also think that the PR that allowing the Prius into the HOV lane is a great thing. Conn and other states cancel the sales tax on the hybrids. This also makes a difference.

So my take on it is that cars like the Prius should get this HOV lane approval for the single passenger on a temporary basis only. Maybe until 2008 or so and then no longer. By then, the Prius type hybrids will have taken over the market so much that they don't need the PR.

17. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It looks like a major Charlie Foxtrott (cluster...) to me..

here is a quote from Romatic's article.. "Though Schwarzenegger arrived in the low-pollution vehicle, he left in a gasoline-powered SUV that typically gets about 15 miles per gallon. It was a pragmatic decision, given that the hydrogen Hummer needs to refuel every 50 miles and there are only about a dozen fueling stations across the state."

If the fueling area is at LAX, I don't think he'll make it home to Montecito (Santa Barbara) and if he does.. he's stuck there...really won't make it back to Sacramento... really think he should get on a list and get a Prius.. or a couple of them, they would be cheaper than the Hummer..

Bob Andersen