1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Arrgh... measles on the windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abq sfr, Apr 16, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This has happened on every car I've owned, do not know why I had a brain fart and washed my brand new shiny Prius myself. Water on the west side of Albuquerque has the worst water in the US (sorry California), does not meet EPA standards for Arsenic and lots of other awful stuff. I used a Mr. Clean car washing gun, the one with the soap and rinse cartridges, put new rinse cartridge before I started. It was morning, the sun had just started shining on the car and it was probably around 60 degrees. I kept the car wet the whole time, so the dreaded permanent waterspots would not ruin anything. I started from the top down. Well, for some reason the windshield looks like it has the measles even though I kept it wet. I've tried Invisible Glass with a lot of elbow grease and microfiber towel to no avail. Any suggestion for a mineral water-spot removal for glass? If I remember correctly after my last new cars I washed myself, the spots go away after about a year, long time to wait for it to wear off. :(

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First, you should never wash your car in the sun.

I wash mine in the shade and dry it with an Absorber.

You can try a claybar. It works on glass. If that doesn't work I'd try Meguiar's PlastX and if that doesn't work ScratchX. I wouldn't use LimeAway or CLR or anything like that. No matter how careful you are there is always the chance you'll ruin the paint.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 16 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]424430[/snapback]</div>
    Oh God, be careful with the claybar on the glass!!

I got a teeny-tiny chip in my almost brand new Prius' windshield, directly in front of where I normally look while driving straight ahead.

I thought that maybe I could 'buff' most of it out.

I was wrong and ended up paying for a new Toyota-branded windshield out of my own pocketbook.

Using a claybar (and other things, too) I created this weird haze in the glass that was all but invisible normally. But, during the night or first thing in the morning or at sunset, if bright light would hit it just right, that spot would suddenly turn more or less opaque...then, just as quickly, it would disappear...

Really, I asked a friend if she saw it, too. And she did! The first two or three times, well, I thought I was having a flashback or something [smile] but then I realized it was my very own handiwork...and it all (ahem) became a lot clearer...

*rimshot*

I do not know, if you're careful with the lime-a-way (or however it's spelled) and 'mask' off the area with towels or plastic and only moisten a cloth (and don't apply from the bottle directly or anywhere *near* the car)...keep it under control...you might make it work, maybe...?

I think that, whatever you do, begin with a product as mild as you possibly can, try it, assess, and go from there.

I'm maybe a klutz but have found that messing with blemishes often makes them more obvious, not less.

4. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonperglass.html

I use NXT glass cleaner for the interior of my Prius because of my window tint but for the exterior that Sonus glass polish removes water spots, bugs, haze... pretty much anything I've thrown at it. If you do not have a Porter Cable buffer you will have to use the little applicators they supply and a lot of elbow grease but the results are worth it imho :)

5. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 16 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]424430[/snapback]</div>
    I know from experience that LimeAway or CLR does nothing to the minerals here. My shower door was once clear, now frosted, and those never worked. I'll get some of the PlastX and put more elbow grease into it. Thanks!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PlastX is really gentle. I use it on the interior plastic on the cup holder covers on the console and the CD door under the CD.

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    wont it come out with rubbing alchohol?

how about investing in a centralized water filtration system
    or at least a water softner for the whole house hah

think of all the money you will save on drier sheets

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 17 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]424478[/snapback]</div>
    I'd use a product made for the job. You can get a glass polish and take it off with relatively little work by hand. Zaino sells one, also Griot's Garage has both a mild and more agressive one. I've used both with a machine polisher and by hand. They are great for cleaning the windshield before applying Aqua-Pel.

- Tom