1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ARTICLE: $3 gas makes hybrids look real pretty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by local_host, Jun 19, 2007.

1. local_host

local_host New Member

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news.../11/11wear.html

The Austin-American Statesman
    Monday, June 11, 2007

So, there I was a couple of weeks ago, idling at a light in my 17-miles-to-the-gallon used Taurus, the one I spend about $35 filling up every five or six days.

Looking out, I could see the Shell station's price board: $3 plus for a gallon of regular. Just ahead was the back bumper of a new Prius hybrid, its sleek beige paint job, shiny chrome and 60 miles per gallon (in the city!) fuel economy rating silently mocking me.

I could see only the back of the driver's head. We've never met. I hated him.

I'm not the only person suffering from Prius envy. This latest spike in gas prices, along with long commutes in our ever-sprawling cities and a growing consensus that global warming is real and potentially calamitous, could be a tipping point for hybrid cars.

The economics of paying thousands more for a hybrid (over a comparable traditional model) are looking better all the time.

Sales of hybrids in May increased 91 percent over May 2006, with 45,000 of them rolling out of U.S. showrooms. In 2006, about 250,000 hybrids were sold in the United States, about five times the 2003 number. As recently as 2000, fewer than 10,000 hybrids were sold domestically.

Now, last year's figures still gave hybrids less than 2 percent of the market. And in Texas, just 0.2 percent of registered vehicles in May (38,709) were hybrids. Of course, that number includes all the vehicles sold in previous years still on the road, and the Texas figure will increase with every totaled nonhybrid or junker that wheezes its last.

Hybrids, if you haven't heard or have forgotten, have both a traditional engine powered by gasoline and an electric motor running off battery power. Slowing or braking generates electricity to keep the battery charged. Drive the right way, with gentle acceleration most of the time, and you can come close to the rated fuel economy numbers.

So, what are the economics? Bill Brown, customer relations manager at Champion Toyota, told me that for a monthly car payment at 10 percent interest, every $1,000 of car price adds about $22. So, $4,000 extra for a hybrid (the high side) would mean $88 more a month, less if you have good credit and thus a lower interest rate.

If I drive my Taurus 1,200 miles a month (and unfortunately I do, at minimum), that's about 70 gallons, or $210. It's been worse some months.

In a Prius, even at 45 miles per gallon (for a lead-foot like me), that would be 27 gallons: $81. That's a difference of almost $130.

Where do I sign?

It might even work for people who are, in the colorful phrase of car salesmen, "upside down," meaning they owe more on their existing car than it's worth. Those folks (including, sadly, me) would have to fold in that difference to the loan for their hybrid.

So far, there are only about a dozen hybrids on the market, including now some sedans and sport-utility vehicles that use more gas than the squatty Prius. More models are on the way.

In the interim, of course, you can hang on and wait for gas to fall back below $2 a gallon. Good luck with that.

Getting There appears Mondays. For questions, tips or story ideas, contact Getting There at 445-3698 or [email protected].

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Jun 19 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]464974[/snapback]</div>
    This economic comparison is misleading. He is comparing his current car's mpg with the pricing of an Prius-equivalent new non hybrid car.

He should either compare old car mpg with old car payments and old car maintenance with the Prius or

the alternative new car's mpg with the alternative new car's payments with a new Prius.

My friend just bought a civic and her payments are $80/mo less than mine. She gets about 36mpg, I get about 55mpg over 1200 miles/mo. She uses up 33.3 gallons/mo I use 21.8 gallons/mo. The difference times $3 is about $33/mo

Add to that the extra service the civic needs to $10/mo

Of course I'd sell my Prius for more $$ so I'd say economically the Prius might be slightly more expensive but WAYYY much more fun and good for the environment. :D

3. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The value proposition for the Prius gets stronger the more miles you drive each month. Compared to what my wife was driving before, we are saving at least $350 per month on gasoline alone with her driving the Prius. Of course, she averages over 35,000 miles per year, so our savings are not typical.

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Three-dollar gas would be nice. It's about $3.40 in San Luis Obispo county, and thirty cents more here in Cambria.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Saw advertised: $3.99/regular, $4.09/plus, $4.19/premium...all self serve...at a Shell station in Burlingame, CA, on Monday, 6/18!!!

6. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 20 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]465355[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, last weekend we were in Va. and regular was $2.79. :rolleyes:

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 20 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]465355[/snapback]</div>
    Hopefully, you are not paying that outrageous amount for gas.... There are other Chevron stations in close proximity to Burlingame that are not charging those prices. PM me if you need the locations.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Regular is $2.69 at most stations in my area. :)

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $3.24 at Shell, here in WA (on the coast)
    My Prius is pretty no matter WHAT the gas costs :)

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jun 20 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]465347[/snapback]</div>
    What are you complaining about? You live in Cambria. When you live in an idyllic area like that you don't get to complain.

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The highest i've seen in the last 2 weeks was 2.89 on monday, but they have fallen back to 2.69 at most stations in Akron, OH.

The value for me I went from spending $75-80 week in SUV to less than $20 week in Prius. Savings alone almost pays for the entire car payment.