1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Article from 97 shows how battery technology is already here

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by priussoris, May 17, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cobasys (a subsidiary of Chevron) bought Ovonics and holds the patent on NiMH chemistry battaries. They won't allow large format NiMH batteries suitable for EVs/PHEVs (the patent runs out in 2015). Cobasys sued Toyota and Panasonic over their infringement (the RAV4-EV). I think that the Prius uses the largest format battery allowed by the patent. Fortunately, Li Ion formats don't have this sort of issue hanging over them, although, Hydro Ontario and the University of Texas are suing A123 over issues surrounding the nanophosphate design in A123's batteries.

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 17 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]444237[/snapback]</div>
    And that's why GM deserves to go belly up. GM selling the battery technology is metaphorically like Frodo giving the Ring to Sauron for some backroom deal. It makes no sense. Actually GM is more like Golem. Hopefully they'll fall into a pit a fire for the good of all mankind.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I like the analogy of the ring! I whole-heartedly agree. Watch Who Killed the electric car and watch your blood pressure rise. Could there be more of a reality theory on that?

GM Volt? Yeah, that's comin' REAL soon. GM SO wants to help use less gasoline...sheesh, that's just so sad.

C'mon people where can we start throwing bricks against this? Oh, the market is slowly doing just that...just too slowly.

I just get madder and madder everytime this subject of selling battery tech to an oil interest and EVs comes up...sorry...I better go take a nice walk...or drive in my Prius.

5. ozyran

ozyran New Member

All I can say is that greed is a powerful drug.