1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Article on June Hybrid Sales

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by micheal, Jul 10, 2005.

1. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This article is a little over a week old, but I didn't find any threads on it by searching.

Summary: The HiHy did well in it's first month, with 2,869 sold. Toyota still the sales leader at 79% of the Hybrid marker and our beloved prius accounting for 50% of the hybrid sales at 9,622. Article discuss the HCH, HAH, and FEH briefly, as well as general comparisons between this year and last.

Green Car Congress--June Hybrid Sales

2. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just some quick thoughts about the article I had....

Prius is still going strong for 100,000 units this year (if you build it.....)

Wow, the HiHy selling almost 3K the first month! That seems like a lot for the first month with most probably from wait lists and sight unseen.

Toyota is still the leader and I dont' see that changing with the Camry coming out later this year.

I am shocked (and sadly, somewhat happy) that the Honda's are selling so poorly comparatively, especially with the HCH selling less than they did in June of 2005. I will admit part of me wants Toyota to be shown the better hybrid, but I hope that Honda's sales get better versus getting worse.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with Michael on this one.

It's always great to have a winner. For that reason, I would love to see Toyota maintain the lead hybrid position.

On the other hand, for the sake of hybrid sales everywhere, I would love to see more Hondas being sold. I tell everyone that I'm biased but would rather see them buy a hybrid of any make than to buy a "regular" car. (I don't consider things like the Silverado at all)

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"106313)</div>
    I honestly think it'd be better if someone knocked Toyota off their pedastal (hiya Ford) and forced them to scramble back up again. The auto makers are always best when the competition is the toughest.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think Toyota needs any more competition to remain on the cutting edge. They have a plan and a goal and they're going to work in that direction despite what the market is doing. Their sales just proves they're already on the right track.

I think Honda's sales will increase with the improvements they've made for the next year. However, I do think they're going to have to improve more. For them, remaining #2 is a good motivator.

As for Ford, I would like to see their hybrid sales increase as well. They now have two hybrid SUVs out. They are as close to Toyota technology as American automakers are, which to me is just reinforcing that the Toyota technology is the best. I'd like to see their sales pick up to basically show GM and Chrysler the error of their ways. Maybe they'll wise up before they go belly up.

So, how can everyone improve sales and still remain in the #1, 2 & 3 spots? Well, I want the sales of hybrids to increase over conventional cars, taking over more of the market share.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"106623)</div>
    I disagree...

If it weren't for the Macintosh or Amiga, we'd all probably still be using DOS. If it weren't for the rising popularity of Firefox, IE6 would still be a ball of snot, rather than being a ball of snot with a slightly less horrible release planned for sometime soon.

And so on.

Competition spurs innovation. A Honda hybrid which is better than a Toyota hybrid benefits everyone because it would force Toyota to improve. In fact, don't think they haven't noticed how cost effective the Honda system is and how much more modular and transplantable the Ford system is and aren't taking that into consideration for the 3rd generation of Toyota hybrids.