1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

As I was going to Boston ...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife & I will be going to Boston the third weekend in October to volunteer for the Pumpkin Festival sponsored by Life is Good. The festival is being held on Boston Common.

I've researched hotels in that area and they're all wildly expensive. So we need to find a reasonable hotel in an outlying area that's not too far away (possibly reachable by mass transit). We know nothing about the surrounding towns and don't want to find ourselves in a scary area.

Any help from Boston-area PCers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Personally, I think any part of New Jersey is way scarier than any part of Boston ;)

There aren't too many neighborhoods in Boston that I'd tell you to avoid, honestly. Places to look that may be affordable:

Arlington (make sure it's near the red line subway... like the Alewife area)
    Somerville
    Cambridge
    Waltham (look for sites near the commuter rail station)

Also, we call the subway here, "The T" because of the big signs with a "T" on them. So don't go around asking for the "subway" or the "metro" ;)

Before I lived in Boston I travelled here once and stayed at a B&B in Brookline. That wasn't too pricey, and it was right on the green line subway. You could also look for a place that's within short driving distance to some of the commuter rail stations or terminus for any of the T lines. It really depends on whether you want to have a nice long tour of the area on your way downtown, or if you want to be in and out quickly.

And if you haven't done so, find out if the festival has any sponsored our group rates at hotels, since you are volunteering it would be nice if they did!

3. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 29 2006, 10:51 AM) [snapback]311099[/snapback]</div>
    That's because we keep the best parts hidden. :lol:

We spent a weekend in Cambridge a couple years ago and loved it there. I checked their tourism site and found out there's a regatta that weekend. A lot of hotels in that area are either booked or they jacked the rates up. :(

I'll check out the other areas you mentioned. Thanks for your help!

4. GoodferYuuu&#33;

GoodferYuuu&#33; New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 29 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]311153[/snapback]</div>

Sonds like the "Head of the Charles" regatta.

If you're a veteran you can get a fantastic rate at the Constitution Inn in the Charlestown Navy Yard http://www.constitutioninn.org. Regular rates look like a little under $200. There's no T there, but there are busses and it's not a bad walk to North Station (and yummy Italian food in the North End) in non-horrible weather. You could even walk to the Common in about 30 minutes.

Email me at rauffrey AT yahoo DOT COM ( cryptic address to fool spammers). I'd love to help, really. I have some other ideas and my wife may have even beter ones.
    Rob

5. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 29 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]311081[/snapback]</div>
    There's a Best Western on Comonwealth Ave. in Brookline that I use when we visit my daughter. The rates are good for Boston, and the "T" is right on the corner.

6. bacinmass

bacinmass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I "second" the suggestion about B&B's. There are several very charming, affordable, and well-located B&B's in Brookline.

Nice neighborhoods, shops, and easy access to public transportation.

Yep, I am a Bostonian... wishing you a wonderful visit.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

8. GoodferYuuu&#33;

GoodferYuuu&#33; New Member

Try the Buckminster in Kenmore Sq. near Fenway Park. I hear it's a bit tattered, but cheap. Anywhere in Brookline is pretty close to the T, but it's the (slow) Green Line. Even so - safe and quaint for the most part.

9. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. Clar

Clar Member

I'm not local to Boston, but I was looking for hotels before I went up there for a conference. One location my friend told me is Motel 6 in Braintree, walking distance to train. Another location is Holiday Inn not too far from it. http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/h.../transportation

I ended up staying in downtown boston since company paid for it after all.

11. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Braintree is not a bad choice, and it has a weird name to boot! one potential drawback there is that it's on I-93, which can be a monster to drive on in rush hour traffic, esp. with I-90 east closed at the intersection with I-93 because of falling pieces of ceiling tile :(

Probably great for commuter rail though if you can get a place that's close to the station.