1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

As of the their last update, Nissan had taken in over 14,200 reservations for its 2011 Nissan LEAF.

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by Cacti, May 15, 2010.

1. Cacti

Cacti Poleikleng

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nissan LEAF Open Reservations Start Today in the US, No Protection Against Dealer Gouging

"Nissan has a problem, but it is the kind that every automaker, including GM with the Volt, hopes to have when introducing a new product. Underestimating demand.

As of the their last update, Nissan had taken in over 14,200 reservations for its 2011 Nissan LEAF. To get a feel for this kind of demand, GM’s latest highly anticipated/heavily advertised car, the Chevrolet Camero, took in 10,000 pre-orders in the first 10 weeks it was made available, and 15,000 by the time it was actually in production, around 6 months after their order system opened to the public."

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: As of the their last update, Nissan had taken in over 14,200 reservations for its 2011 Nissan LE

For an EV that'll realistically have a 70 mile range...and Toyota isn't introducing a full scale BEV and a ready for the road PHV because.....? Don't lose the edge Toyota.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: As of the their last update, Nissan had taken in over 14,200 reservations for its 2011 Nissan LE

There's a fine line between "cutting edge" & "bleeding edge". Nissan commits to a 100 mile EV, grabs attention & a no interest loan. Toyota says nothing. We'll have to see what Toyota puts on sale just before the Leaf is available.

The British held the lead in jet aircraft. Nothing better than the Comet--until they started disappearing. Eventually enough wreckage was discovered to understand that square windows encourage stress fractures & explosive decompression. Their industry never recovered. Boeing & Douglas took the market. Sometimes it pays to be #2.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

the article (which is mostly 2nd hand info) does read a bit ominously. i would "hope" that people who ordered during the closed reservation period would be first in on deliveries. since many would have a time crunch involved that would greatly affect the price they pay. for me, a nearly 9% sales tax waiver would be nearly $3,000 NOT out of my pocket if purchased by Dec 31st.

the time table is starting to look a little tight

5. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

The article has two parts - one that statik wrote, the other that Lyle appended.

Lyle always tries to put in some FUD about Leaf which he considers a competitor to Volt.

6. leaffan

leaffan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I guess you haven't seen the mileage charts vs. speed. Making uneducated statements such as "realistically a 70 mile range" shows your lack of knowledge about the LEAF. Even at 65 I'll easily be able to go 80 miles or more. And on the days I'm not commuting (going 65mph), I'll easily get 100 miles around town. (Obviously you have no knowledge about ECO mode.)
    Toyota has ALREADY lost the edge...their name is MUD now...LOL. After all the lawsuits, they'll be lucky just to still be in business.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

LOL! Don't be such a defensive fanboi! I hold a Leaf reservation as well as a Model S reservation and have been following the production plans of the vehicle since first announced.

I saw the "made up" mileage vs speed chart based upon innummerable assumptions. But the fact of the matter is that real world, safe distance that the average driver will be able to take the Leaf will be 70 miles on mixed driving and yes, up to 100 for hypermiling type city drivers (whice I consider myself). Hell dude, I average 70 in good weather in my Prius...so save your defensivness for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

How far does the Tesla Roadster REALLY get on a charge? Remember, they advertise 244 mile range. The LA4 test cycle puts the Leaf at 100 miles averaging about 20mph. Put that leaf in Los Angeles on combined 65mph interstate and city and you're gonna be very lucky to see over 70 miles.

I'm far from ignorant about the Leaf, I'm very realistic about human expectations...do you have ANY idea how many times I've answered the question about "why don't I get 55mpg in my Prius?"--hundreds and hundreds. Like your AC cranked really cold? Gonna take a mileage hit. Live in Minnesota? Heater's gonna give you a mileage hit. Only route to work means extended interstate? Gonna take a mileage hit. Don't forget about wind, rain, snow/ice, etc. And 5 years from now after ~2000 charge/discharge cycles what's your range gonna be?

Might as well keep buyer expectations somewhat low and over deliver than the other way around. Don't be defensive, there are a lot of very well informed people here, I'm amongst them, that want an EV, support EVs, and encourage EVs...but also have a grip on reality. Historic data tells us that most EVs, in the real world, can reliably go ~70% of their ideal range. I'll probably get 100 miles in my Leaf if I continue to use my current 'hypermiling route', you'll probably get 100 in yours. But real world, for the average Joe that just jumps in and drives it the same way the drove their previous car, no way.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

when i made that thread about the minimum acceptable range for the Leaf, i chose 70 miles because that is what would cover me. anymore is greatly appreciated but not expected.

9. mwalsh

mwalsh Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I really want my Leaf to deliver 65 miles per day, stop 'n' go freeway conditions, and am actually beginning to have a bit of pre-purchase range anxiety after reading many posts about how range will drop at freeway speeds. Not knowing exactly how the LA4 figures vs. real world will play out is making me a tiny bit nutty.

Truth of the matter is, it doesn't really matter....I can plug in at work for the entire time I'm there. I mean, the car sits doing nothing for eight hours. But I think it would be a bit hard to explain to my wife, and the folks I work with (so basically the uninformed), why I'm not getting the "advertised" range. If I can slope (all the way) home before having to charge, it would be better for my machismo!

10. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

At office : Just so you can take a shopping side trip if needed.
    At home : Cheaper to joice it up at office ;)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

you're making a lot of assumptions about a car that has not been built yet, trollboy.:cheer2: