1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

As the evolution of my hybrid education goes....

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rmotion, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Rmotion

Rmotion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have always wanted a prius and now that it seems perfect fit for me I am taking a deep dive into figuring out what I need to buy my next car. I started from the beginning and here is where I am at at tell me if I am wrong.
    My criteria, looking for a used prius for less than $10k, 3rd Generation, Model II or higher. Now I am finding Prius Plug ins at that price range and thinking that might be a way to go. My worry is that it seems they are miss understood and that the technology in Gen I and Gen II might not be worked out well enough for me to take the risk and better to just start with regular prius. Any thoughts?

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    At this price point you can't go wrong with the Plug-In. Expect 12 miles EV all summer and a few miles less during cold weather

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what you mean by misunderstood, but the pip has a great track recoe=rd over 6 years. downside is no spare tire or under hatch storage.

that being said, if you are looking at gen 3, keep in mind the head gasket failures, egr and intake clogging, and need for oil catch can.