1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ashley Simpson, Saturday Night Live and 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Oct 31, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just finished watching 60 Minutes and as luck would have it, 60 Minutes had planned to expose Saturday Night Live to honor them on their upcoming 30th aniversary.

sooo the show they happened to use to report on how the show is put together just happened to be the same one that Ashley Simpson did her infamous nonsong.

interesting that it was known by seemingly everyone on the show that Simpson was losing her voice except Lorne Michaels, the shows producer.

i have to hand it to Simpson that at least she tried to sing in a dress rehersal before a live audience Saturday afternoon, (apparently they do this before every show to give more people a chance to see the show in person.)

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

On a semi-related topic, I rarely find SNL that funny over the last couple years -- I TiVo it and then fast-forward to Tina Fey on WEEKEND UPDATE.

However, they had two absolutely classic bits last Saturday:
    • Osama Bin Laden's speech to the American people about the upcoming election. Real, imaginative, honest-to-God satire.
    • Tina Fey's rejoinder to Bill O'Reilly's "I will never discuss this topic again" speech on his Fox show.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Does anyone know where I can download or watch a snippit of video of Simpson. I don't watch Saturday Night Live; just don't find it interesting anymore.

To be honest, I don't care about Simpson either, but I think I might be the only person remaining to see the video everyone's talking about.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    other than a few snippets off local newscasts, i havent seen it either.

i dont watch SNL that much either although Tina Fey is a real talent.

after all, i learned the most about the incident watching 60 Minutes...

5. tag

tag Senior Member

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree that SNL just doesn't grab me anymore. It used to be the best satire to watch during the Presidential election, now it's a distant 3rd behind TDS (Daily Show) and MAD TV (which has gotten very funny over the last few years).

60 Minutes: Did you catch the segment on our troops in Iraq not having the equipment they need due to pork barrel spending?

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It never grabbed me. I couldn't stay awake that late, I'm just NOT a night owl. :)

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes the pork barrels were amazing. spending 2 billion to keep an unnecessary base open when that same money could have provided 375,000 armored troop vehicles.

i do wonder how we can send young men and women to war without the proper ground equipment while at the same time spending 400 BILLION DOLLARS on the defense budget EVERY YEAR!!

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I saw an interview with Lorne Michaels a few years back and the interviewer asked about the humor on SNL. Lorne said that they can't poke fun at groups of people anymore. No more Samuri, no more Deaf Poeple commercials, no more anything even slightly controvercial. There are just way too many poeple who will claim offense and file a lawsuit. So they have to stick with poking fun at specific public individuals.

In my opinion, the comedy shows of the 60s and 70s were much more enlightened and enlightening because they intentionally forced you to laugh at the obsurdity of racism and segregation. Rather than constantly point out why we are so different, they went far in laughing at the things we have in common. This is why I feel the older shows are much better than more recent shows.

Oh, and thanks Tag. It was exactly as non-eventful as I had anticipated.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that issue was hit on on the 60 Minutes expose. the interviewer had thought that the comedy was racier than before because of the directed attacks at individuals but Michaels said as you mentioned that they are much more restricted now in what they can do.

i think its this restriction that has stopped them from being as good as they were. its really hard for me to comment on the show as i dont really watch much tv. i limit myself to information based shows along with an occasional special here and there.