1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Asking for advice on buying and owning a Prius C.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Isaac Zachary, May 29, 2018.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I originally was interested in a new Prius Prime because of the federal and state discounts (up to $9,500 off). Although I'm still playing with the idea, I've also been thinking about getting a Prius C instead. I'm looking for one with less than 50,000 miles and for around $10,000.

Any suggestions as to what to look for and what to avoid?

My own personal circumstances are that I live in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado in one of the coldest towns in the state. I average 60 miles per day, usually in one run. (60 miles there, stay the night, 60 miles back. Something like that.) In such a run I can go up and down some 4,000 to 6,000ft over mountain passes. I'm concerned that perhaps the cold might hurt the traction battery. Temperatures well below 0°F (about -15°C) during the winter are common, with it reaching -40°F (-40°C) on occasion. This morning it was 32°F (0°C), but I can also drive through places as hot as 104°F (40°C) at times. Would any of that be of concern for driving a Prius, especially a Prius C?

I usually don't have much of a problem with the snow and usually get a set of studded snow tires on a separate set of rims. But on occasion I find I need to use tire chains. Has anyone else used tire chains on a Prius C?

Basically I'm wanting to replace a 500,000 mile VW Golf diesel that gets 55mpg for me. A Prius seems the best option.

2. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also I'm trying to figure out how battery degradation might affect me. I've seen quite a few Prius cars for sale with dead batteries. I was wondering if the bitter cold around here might be doing that.

3. NY[Prius]C

NY[Prius]C New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I found my Prius C in great shape with under 50k miles at Hertz Car Sales. They had a few, and they have a bunch of locations, so that might be worth a look for you.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  4. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    battery degradation is caused by heat, not cold. cold will affect your mpg's as with any car, plus the battery becomes less effective.
    we have many colorado members, and i don't recall many battery complaints. i think i would want to test the c on your route as it is a city car more than a cruiser.
    prime would probably be perfect.

Isaac Zachary and dubit like this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Going downhill rapidly can over charge the HV Battery. Using B mode slows battery charging by adding engine braking, keeping it cooler. Use A/C when you feel hot, you are cooling the battery, too. Park in shade, or use window tint and window shades.
    Colorado Tint Laws - 2017 & 2018 - Car Tinting Laws
    If you do not tint the front side windows, you can go as dark as you wish on the rear sides and back windows. I am not sure if the factory tint qualifies you. I would check locally.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I owned 2012 PriusC. It was an excellent car, and really enjoyed. But then I sold it and got a Gen3. The Prius classic is so much better of a car. It's bigger, more comfortable and most important more powerful. Living in the mountains you may find it underpowered.

8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the help from all!

As far as underpowered goes, I'm coming away from two cars. A 1985 VW non-turbo diesel that litterally has less than 40hp at this altitude and a Nissan Leaf that I have to drive 30mph down a 65mph highway if I want to get it out of town to the next charging station.

9. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the Prime would be less likely to overcharge the battery going down hills??

10. roadrunner

roadrunner His (blue) and hers (black).

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hertz no long rents the Prius c from what I see. They currently have 1 used Prius c for sale at this time. We too bought from Hertz our two Prius c's. They have been problem free.