1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At 999 miles - early oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Peakbagr, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Peakbagr

Peakbagr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll hit 1k miles tomorrow. Quick question, good idea to do a 1k oil change as I've done on all my other new cars at 1,000 miles and what type of oil do I have put in?

Thanks

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is suggested to change your oil within the first 2,000 miles in my opinion to flush out all the engine gunk that occurs from breaking in the engine. I think you should do it sometime. You should also use SAE OW-20 synthetic oil. Let me know if you have any further questions!

3. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I hit 1000 on Sunday myself and I'm thinking of having the first done at 1600 miles or I might wait until 3200...what seems excessive is some folks suggest changing it 3 times leading up to 5K to rid it of the break-in contaminants. :eek:

4. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't waste it. I just changed mine @ 5k by myself, and it's not that bad. If you worry, change it at 3k at least.

5. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed my oil at 1,000 miles, then 2,500 miles and then at 5,000 miles. I am at 9,800 miles now and will change at 10,000 miles.

While I am sure most know that oil lubricates and cools the engine, it also traps contaminants the oil filter does not. Wonder why your oil turns black? It means it has trapped moisture and unburned fuel (raw gasoline). These two contaminants reduce the lubricity of the oil. The only way to get rid of it is to change the oil. Your oil filter does NOT filter out moisture or unburned fuel.

Synthetic 0W20 Mobil 1 oil costs me about $5 a quart at Walmart. With an oil filter it costs me less than $30 bucks to change the oil. It's cheap insurance.

6. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    1K!? :eek: I drive mine pretty lightly...this just gets too costly since I'm not in a good position to be doing them myself (knowing my luck, though, the engine will blow a gasket right at the end of the 5-year warranty :)).

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Changed oil and filter at 1500, 5000, and 10,000, next change at 20,000. 10K intervals from now on. I too use Mobil 1 0W20 and Toyota filters.

Early changes may be more than what is needed but worth it to me for peace of mind. I intend to change the transaxle at about 30K.

8. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will change my transaxle fluid at 20k miles. I plan on keeping this car for awhile so it's worth it to me to over-maintain.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Noooooo...not another "should I do an early oil change" thread.

This topic has been discussed to death--try a search.

10. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I love posts that start out "It is suggested...in my opinion." That sounds like a self contradictory sentence. Who suggests it besides the poster who has an opinion, just as all of us do?

I also think that nag has been beaten to death some time ago.

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I changed my oil at 1,000 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 and 25,000.

I did the first 1,000 to flush out any engine particles that were created during the break in stage. Spending $40 is worth it.

I am not sure what I will do with the transaxle yet.

12. jm1515

jm1515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  13. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess they had another big oil spill again, lets all change our oil early so they need to have even more ships bringing oil through the ocean.... ;)

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I read somewhere that one is not supposed to change out the factory filled special break-in oil too early.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Opinions on oil changes intervals are vast and diverse. I can offer an "outside" opinion from a new honda owner. I just got a new Honda Fit, my instinct was to want to change the oil early. However, Honda has a "Maintenance Minder" system that monitors driving style and shows an "Oil Life" remaining percentage. It's quite a topic of debate within Honda forums concerning how closely or seriously one should follow this maintenance minder. Usually it recommends keeping the oil in much longer than the usual 3000, 5000, or even 6000 miles. My point being it's a big topic of debate.

Here is what I've found out and concluded. Many people with a new vehicle are nervous about keeping the original oil in the vehicle very long. This is either from the reality or the mythology of new engine break in wear, and fear of potential damage from this process. Many people then just change the oil early at around 1000- 1500 miles.

Let me stress this is NOT Toyota, this is Honda, but within the Honda Fit manual they highly recommend NOT changing the oil early. Honda say's that the original oil contains additives that specifically aide in the breaking in of the engine and that early removal would actually hinder or jeopardize the break in process.

So on one hand, you have change the oil often and early to avoid metal shavings and break in wear damage, and on the other hand you have leave the "special" oil in as long as possible because it's designed to aide in the break in of the engine.

Personally? I don't know who to believe. I talked to the service department at my dealership and they recommended keeping the oil in...

Sorry if this isn't much help...I'm kind of in a similar process of trying to determine what is really the best advice myself.

What I'm wondering is does Toyota have a similar "break in" new car oil? If so, that would be the opposing ideology to the change the oil early philosophy.

16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've read the owners manual cover to cover, and it doesn't say that anywhere. No car I've owned (and I've owned many) ever had break in oil.

The only car I'm personally aware of that has special "break in" oil is the current BMW M5, which has a very high strung engine and comes with conventional oil from the factory, which is then replaced with synthetic after break in (1,2000 miles).

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I've evidently got break in oil! Wow, I practically own a BMW. Seriously, according to the manual my new Honda Fit is filled with a special break in oil.

I don't know how common it may or maynot be, but that's at least one model besides a BMW M5 that supposedly has an oil with special additives from the factory.

18. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not going to be content until someone on here tells us they do an oil change every time they fill up. :D

J/K I am enjoying and learning a lot from this thread. Keep 'em coming.

19. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It wouldn't suprise me. I hope others are not doing harm by changing early.

20. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is what I...love...about the internet. ;)

Somebody says "I read somewhere".... :p

And it turns into a fact...

Later, somebody will do a search and quote it as fact. Love it. :eek:

And what is "too early?"

In my BMW M5 example above, the first oil change (to flush the break in oil) is 1,200 miles.

You know, I read...somewhere...that the tires are filled with nitrogen...or at least mostly nitrogen... :D