1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At last, a bit of sanity.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like the DVD format wars may be forming a truce.

Warner Brothers finds a solution

"Warner Bros. is set to introduce a high definition DVD disc that can hold films and TV shows in rival and incompatible formats, the latest sign that the yearlong format war is long from over."

"Warner Bros. has also patented a disc that can contain three versions of a film — one in each of the rival high-def formats and a third that can be viewed on standard definition players."

I don't know about you but I'm still replacing my VHS tapes with regular DVDs. No way I'm converting everything to one format or another. I won't buy any of the new DVDs unless they play in every format and on my old machine. And any new machine I buy better be able to play my old DVDs as well as at least one of the new formats. Which one it will be will depend. I am no where near replacing anything I've got.

I've had enough of consumerism's replace/buy new every few years. It's wasteful. It's expensive. It's not "green". I don't care if the economy relies on it. I am not replacing perfectly good DVDs or players just because a new toy comes out.

I can vote with my wallet by refusing to buy. I waited for years before buying a CD player. I still have vinyl. I'm not buying the latest DVD toy; I'm not replacing what few DVDs I have with even newer DVDs; I'm not buying anything that is exclusionary/proprietary.

They had better get wise and deal because I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!!

Yeah, he isn't. It is really annoying having to upgrade just because they say so and not because we want to.

If you upgrade early, you pay a hefty premium. Upgrade too late and it's worthless cause the industry has moved on.

Standard DVD still has a lot going for it and I don't think it's near the end of its life.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 4 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]371130[/snapback]</div>
    In addition I have and I'm sure most of you have a temp solution for HD TV shows and some movies. Comcast for 10 bucks a month rents me a HD-DVR. I can DL that show/movie to my puter and play back in HD any time I want. It's great for football games as the 30 sec fast forward takes you from the end of one play to beginningof the other almost perfectly. :D

Wildkow

Wildkow

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Also, don't miss the tag line at the end of the article... dual format players are set to come out soon (most likely within a month or two), further blurring the lines... with any luck by the next holiday shopping season there will be players out there that can do DVD, HDDVD, and blue ray for a reasonable price...

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Yeah! I still browse the 'net with my first computer. In fact, I am typing this on my Radio Shack TRS80 (model III), at 300 baud. I still have to use the teletype BB interface to the internet (text-only type graphics). Thank god it all still works with my rotary phone (which I still rent from the phone company for 5.95/month).