1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

At odds with "pimping" my ride

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Jan 28, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have never modded before.

My mother, who also owns a Prius says, "It's a waste of money and nobody cares!!!" at my vacillating decision to install chrome ring trims on my 16" Touring rims. I know the personal preference for exposing these rims varies almost straight down the middle 50/50, so that doesn't help me decide. Now I'm at odds if I should do anything to my beautiful car.

I know moderation is key when you mod, but do people like the look of a modded Priuses? (Chrome trim, shark fins, tints?) Or does it cheapen the car and make it look gangsta?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is nothing wrong with a little modding.

what ideas did you have?

i have my little list on my signature...

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have somewhat modified my Prius (since I don't think the non-hybrid-powertrain part of the warranty is much good, from personal experience) and other modified vehicles.

PERSONAL OPINION:
    I think chrome looks terrible and only appeals to people who are over 50. Don't go overboard and it's probably fine, but seriously - most people don't care.

4. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you "mod" your car to please yourself, or others? If you're doing it for others, forget it. You'll never please everyone.

Wow, I hope I haven't doomed the aftermarket business.:eek:

1 person likes this.
  5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No. Some of us have been around long enough not to give a $#!+ what other people think.

1 person likes this.
  6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tint is a functional mod that also looks good (IMHO). It reduces the load on the AC in the summer (thus increasing fuel efficiency) and helps reduce UV fading and destruction of interior materials. It will eventually pay for itself (don't get into an argument with your mom over how long that will take - you might lose).

I take the approach that other mods are functional as well. My mods please me, and help me not try to get in the wrong car in the parking lot (since there are other silver Prius here at work and in the area). So if they save an arrest for attempted auto theft, they're good insurance :D

7. Prius Happy

Prius Happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's lots of nice prius with clean body kits out there... example this one. Charge Speed PRIUS ZVW30 BottomLine Kit .... it's not much done to the car. But just simple lip kits. Makes the prius unique. Make people think twice about them also

8. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do what makes YOU happy. It's cute that you listen to mommy....but come on, it's just a car.

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Now I'm at odds if I should do anything to my beautiful car.

It's your car. If you can afford it, why shouldn't it look like you want?

do people like the look of a modded Priuses? (Chrome trim, shark fins, tints?) Or does it cheapen the car and make it look gangsta?

My mods are all functional, or what I consider functional. I run from neutral to disaproving on most cosmetics. However lots of people like them, and if you want it, why should you not have it? Mom will learn to live with a little chrome.

10. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    . . . which is an absolute preresq. for adding a Trekkie graphic to one's Prius that positively screams, "DWEEB" !:pound:

Thanx fur the Yuks !